If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Help me help my mom

Help me help my mom 20 Mar 2019 07:09 #110905

Okay, since half the people here are very technical, this is way off topic but help:

My elderly mother is on her second disaster with her email (gmail) in which she gets logged out by accident (which she otherwise never does), can't find her password (which she wrote down in a "memorable" place!) and so proceeds to choose "reset account" or some such choice, and they then say they can't verify her identity, so she has to start a whole new email account.

I have a very hard time understanding exactly what goes wrong, because she lives far away and doesn't explain well.

Question: is there a simple online email service that an older person could use without lots of gadget-knowledge? That has almost no choices, no buttons, no settings, just 'send' 'reply' and that's it?

This is not as confusing as what happened to my in-laws due to their attempting to share a login on Facebook... but still.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Help me help my mom 20 Mar 2019 07:53 #110908

The first issue to address - modern e-mail systems like Google's Gmail and others are being engineered with privacy and cybersecurity in mind. This makes them less user-friendly but much less risky to use. How much do you want your mom to be exposed to things like ransomware? How much personal information does your mom store on her computer?

I'm asking because the tradeoff between ease of use and security could make a difference.
Last Edit: 20 Mar 2019 07:53 by Chris Marti.

Help me help my mom 20 Mar 2019 07:58 #110909

BTW - you could always have your mom call you or another person she knows and trusts and give you/them her password. DO NOT have her e-mail it to you, or them.

:)

Help me help my mom 20 Mar 2019 08:17 #110910

Chris Marti wrote:
BTW - you could always have your mom call you or another person she knows and trusts and give you/them her password. DO NOT have her e-mail it to you, or them.

:)

That's brilliant.

I do think security is important, since she is not very aware of what's safe/not.

Help me help my mom 20 Mar 2019 08:54 #110912

I have some personal experience with this problem :)

Help me help my mom 20 Mar 2019 09:10 #110913

I imagine. The in-laws had a tech implosion a couple years ago. they will never be back online in a normal way again. it's way too confusing for them.

Help me help my mom 21 Mar 2019 08:01 #110933

Sounds exactly like my mom. :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds