Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 03 Nov 2013 23:34 #16070

Those of us who enjoy a good book discussion are soliciting suggestions for the next book discussion hangout.

I think tonight’s g+ hangout was the best I’ve participated in thanks to the shared meaning created by the reading. It’s been suggest by Every3rdThought, and seconded by Andy and James, that we try again with new material.

Anyone from the community is welcome to chime in if you have a book you’d like others to consider. And people can drop by the hangout even if they haven't read the book. Sometimes it's fun just to hangout! :silly:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: every3rdthought

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 04 Nov 2013 10:31 #16091

Daniel over on DhO recommended a book by a friend of his: Jay Michaelson's Evolving Dharma: Meditation, Buddhism, and the Next Generation of Enlightenment. I bought the Kindle version but haven't actually read it yet, but you can see Daniel's endorsement over there. It's a bit far down now on "Recent Posts" (second page at least) but keep looking.
Last Edit: 04 Nov 2013 10:31 by Laurel Carrington.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tina

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 04 Nov 2013 11:17 #16093

I've read most of it. It's pretty good. Part history of contemporary Western dharma, part his personal story leading up to earth-shattering stream entry. Tons of stuff about/from Kenneth, as well as Daniel and Vince Horn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tina

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 04 Nov 2013 15:24 #16101

I was considering reading it, but thought the 'technological' take might bug me, which it usually does, but I'd definitely be interested to do it for our discussion group.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 04 Nov 2013 16:27 #16103

I'm open to it.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 06 Nov 2013 21:20 #16169

Same here. I was sorry to miss the last book discussion -- Michaelson's book sounds great to me.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 06 Nov 2013 22:24 #16171

I hate to back out, but it's over something fun! I'm a judge for the MN Book Awards. Way better than one of those book-of-the-month clubs. My first shipment of books arrived yesterday. I have 12 days to read and judge 7 full-length works, and then my next round of books will arrive. I will live like this, reading a book every 24-48 hours until the end of January. I do love books, and I want to hear about this selection, so I may drop in on the Hangout, if that's okay.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 20 Nov 2013 05:27 #16617

I would still like to do a book reading hangout. I just ordered There Is No God and He Is Always With You by Brad Warner.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 20 Nov 2013 05:37 #16618

My copy of the Evolving Dharma book just arrived in the mail too...

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 20 Nov 2013 06:17 #16620

The Evolving Dharma book sounds interesting. A friend of mine who is a physician recommended "Untethered Soul." I know nothing about it. But it would allow some overlap in the AwakeNetwork/Oprah Winfrey Venn diagram! :-D
www.untetheredsoul.com/book.html

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 20 Nov 2013 18:32 #16640

If we've got enough interest, I'd be enthusiastic to go ahead and plan for a hangout to discuss Evolving Dharma in mid-December sometime - maybe same time of day/week as the last one, which usually suits me. Anyway if people are interested maybe leave a message here, if we can get four definites it's worth doing. I'd be willing to do other books but (a) I already bought this one and (b) it takes a while for things to get to me b/c I usually get them of Book Depository with shipping to Australia, so Evolving Dharma would be best for me this round.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 20 Nov 2013 18:50 #16642

I was hoping to read Evolving Dharma sometime anyway, so just got the Kindle app version. If we have a hangout sometime around this book, I'll try to make it.

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 20 Nov 2013 23:08 #16646

Cool I am looking forward to getting it in the mail

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 23 Nov 2013 16:36 #16801

So, I'm gonna suggest a hangout time to discuss this book: Dec 15th (Sunday) 7:30 p.m. Central/8:30 p.m. Eastern time for the US people, which is the 16th (Mon) 12:30pm for Australia. This is the same time of week we used for the Spiritual Bypassing hangout. Reply if you're in!

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 24 Nov 2013 00:46 #16820

Ah! Can we do it next week? I know that is short short notice, but will be away on retreat on the 4th of December until the 24th. I'll make damn sure I read it well if we do

Solicitation for new book to build a g+ Hangout on 16 Dec 2013 16:42 #17398

This guy has a podcast up on Buddhist Geeks (haven't listened yet):

www.buddhistgeeks.com/2013/12/bg-303-nex...ation-enlightenment/

I've got the book now, so am still interested in doing a hangout - maybe next year when Colleen's finished her judging?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds