Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Metta Practice Log

Metta Practice Log 11 May 2015 16:43 #98765

I'm going to use this space to fill in what feels useful and interesting to me. I've begun practicing intensively Metta as taught by Bhanta Sujato, as relayed to him by Ajahn Maha Chatchai. Ajahn Chatchai used this method as his primary practice during his time as a monk, and I find it useful for its somatic emphasis.

The basic steps are:
1) Anchor attention in the body (noting "thinking" when thoughts appear) until the mind feels relatively stable
2) Spend some time concentrating on the words themsevles ("may I be happy") until a degree of samadhi has been established
3) Reflection during recitation on the phrases (consider the deepest implications of the wish for happiness)
4) Once the feeling of metta has built and is strong, move the attention around the body until the body is filled entirely with the feeling of metta, or simply continue with the recitation until metta builds organically
5) Drop the phrases and rest in the feeling of metta throughout the body

Once the attention can be consistently sustained upon the jhana resulting from the previous five steps for a period of 20 minutes, move on to next person.

The instructions for the retreat I'm using as guide can be found by clicking on the following link: santifm.org/santi/downloads/

Click on retreats, and 2007 metta meditation course if interested.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod, Deklan

Metta Practice Log 11 May 2015 16:45 #98766

I have been practicing for the last two days. It's most useful for me when working with building attention to recollect the pleasure of metta, the pleasure of the body, in a recreational way, and allowing myself to enjoy the practice as such. At times it feels mechanical, and I find it useful at these times to bring the attention back into the body. When the concentration builds I drop the phrases, and the metta seems to remain. At such times it feels impersonal. There is a real sense of wonder, and presence, and openness. Maybe that's love.
Last Edit: 11 May 2015 16:48 by Bill F.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod
Moderators: Kenneth Folk
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds