If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: PDS - Monthly Video Chats - January 2018

PDS - Monthly Video Chats - January 2018 06 Jan 2018 21:11 #108300

Hi Everyone,

We will be hosting our next chat on the Zoom platform in January. Details of when the chat is & how to join are below (if you join via computer you will be prompted to download the Zoom app). We're intending to record this chat using the built-in Zoom tool once we get the OK from everyone who has joined. This is so that folks who can't make it still get to join the fun after the fact.

A little bit of background:

-Who's Welcome? Everyone who is interested in deep practice of any form & open to talking about their experiences in meditation.
-Why Join? For fun. To deepen your practice. To share ideas & experiences. To make friends. For support. To geek out on unusual, common interests.
-Meeting Agenda:
1) Short intros & share how your practice has been
2) Recent hot topics or points of interest in your practice
3) Other topics: Dharma talks/books of interest, experiences with different techniques or maps, how does formal practice intersect with daily life, etc.
-Other Points: Speak from your own direct experience. Don't hog the floor & stay off the soap box. Play nice. Have fun :)

Hope to see you all there,

Noah
====================
Email List Sign Up (To receive a reminder before the chat): eepurl.com/c9sgUT.
Topic: Pragmatic Dharma Society Video Chat - January 2018
Time: Jan 13, 2018 2:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Convert to your time zone: savvytime.com/converter/pst/jan-13-2018/2pm
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: zoom.us/j/3670180780

Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,3670180780# or +14086380968,,3670180780#
Or Telephone:
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923
Meeting ID: 367 018 0780
International numbers available: zoom.us/zoomconference?m=XGiQTcwymz-MyBg7vOOBO0ksgoz11mNU
Last Edit: 06 Jan 2018 21:12 by Noah.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

PDS - Monthly Video Chats - January 2018 11 Jan 2018 14:54 #108333

Excellent, put me on the reminder list Noah.

PDS - Monthly Video Chats - January 2018 13 Jan 2018 14:25 #108339

No problem, I put you on the list.

PDS - Monthly Video Chats - January 2018 14 Jan 2018 16:12 #108342

The chat went great, with another visit from Culadasa :) I did not have time to send a reminder 2 days before, which I think is why we had low attendance. I will be following up with another email/post about how we can continue to evolve this chat format. However, the gist of it is that I would like to have multiple people other than me facilitating discussion on the calls. This could be both formally (planned in advance) or informally (if anyone just wants to spontaneously jump in during a call).

Link to the Chat:
drive.google.com/file/d/1GxxOJeEHBwaW6Se...OFs/view?usp=sharing
(I don't know why it was recorded in active speaker mode. My intention was to record it in gallery mode & that's what my screen was showing.)
Also, there was not any meaningful content in the text portion, so I have omitted it.

Topics Discussed:
-Holding "the view" per Loch Kelly & how that practice intersects with bodywork
-Fire kasina: the growing literature of practice, using it to get into jhanas, the progression of visuals
-1st & 2nd jhana, piti, vipassan on cranial sensations, dullness
-Is the path worth it? Dark night, time investment, mystical vs therapeutic
-Differentiating medical symptoms vs meditative symptoms
-Different types of long term/lasting benefits & how that connects with the 4 path model

Attendees:
Culadasa
Elizabeth
Scott
Matthew
Noah
David
Jeff

I would like to continue to encourage increased attendance on these calls, as they are a great way to participate in building the pragmatic dharma community outside of the text-only space.
Last Edit: 14 Jan 2018 21:12 by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: matthew sexton
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds