If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NOW

NOW 13 Aug 2018 07:43 #109587

Rod wrote:
Ha! By the way I just realised....I now live in Ottawa, Canada, dropping in to Toronto, NYC, Chicago and occasionally Minnesota for work - not too far from a few of the folks on this site I believe. So might be fun to catch up when next over your way :) or let me know if you come to Ottawa (its a bit out of the way but Montreal is also just down the road too).

And I am Toronto-based...
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod

NOW 13 Aug 2018 08:17 #109591

Hi Tom,
Excellent - I will let you know when next coming to Toronto! would be great to catch up again with you too :)

NOW 13 Aug 2018 10:36 #109600

Rod wrote:
Ha! By the way I just realised....I now live in Ottawa, Canada, dropping in to Toronto, NYC, Chicago and occasionally Minnesota for work - not too far from a few of the folks on this site I believe. So might be fun to catch up when next over your way :) or let me know if you come to Ottawa (its a bit out of the way but Montreal is also just down the road too).

Come see me in Minnesota! I’m about 35 miles south of the Twin Cities.

NOW 13 Aug 2018 10:50 #109601

Cool - that would be great - will let you know when I am next coming through! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington

NOW 27 Aug 2018 19:53 #109795

Interesting turn of energy. Maybe fatigue from work/travel over the past few weeks, coupled with a cold/flu that has followed the travel and fatigue - but a switch flicked and a rare depressive state is passing through now. Usually my teachers have not been 'Teachers' and this is another example with much being learnt from this different perspective offering better insight into what is affected and what remains unaffected through these changing states. Of course its unpleasant, but there is still a neutral kind of contentment beneath/behind/within it. Curiosity and a tone of okay-ness/friendliness around it too.

In the past I would look for another perspective, some distraction to slip around it, pretend its not there, but whats the point - its here and now and IS the experience.... another teacher not to be ignored :)
Last Edit: 27 Aug 2018 19:56 by Rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael V

NOW 28 Nov 2018 20:26 #110132

Back to the jhanas :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol

NOW 17 Dec 2018 19:48 #110172

Reading as much of the Pali Canon as I can - just feeling drawn to it for some reason (Haha - as a Buddhist it shouldn't be surprising!) Its repetitive, meticulous and subtle but probably like many these days, I learnt about the Buddha and his life from commentators who distilled and made the writings/teachings more palatable to modern sensibilities. I never realised how often the Buddha refers to the Jhanas - its a key foundation of his teachings but one would not think that today. They have been key for me so far and I am returning to use them now.

Something I also am noticing is how common the mention and role of non-human beings (Devas etc) - the Buddha taught them and considered them equally to humans. Again these days we tend to ignore/dismiss such beings as fairytale/new-age or an artefact of the time he lived and culture he was in. However, expansion of awareness must encompass all and I am sure a practice in knowing and accepting other beings (in more detail than the general generosity of Metta prayers) would be useful. Maybe it would be best a practice of the heart and maybe its some kind of 'mega-metta'. :lol: It might be useful in accepting even other human beings for all their differences?

On another topic...the planet...I thought this was probably the most direct speech I have heard/seen in a long time (not intending to offend anyone) :)

Last Edit: 17 Dec 2018 19:50 by Rod.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

NOW 18 Dec 2018 08:59 #110173

Don't be a stranger, Rod!

NOW 19 Dec 2018 09:55 #110176

Hi Rod,

Planning to move to Ottawa in the next year or so. Would be fun to touch base when that happens! Will be looking for local friends to practice with and bounce things off of.

NOW 19 Dec 2018 11:57 #110177

Hi Ranger,

Yes would be great - not used to having someone to discuss this stuff with :lol:
You are based in Japan now? I lived in Japan for a few years too.
Let me know when you plan to move. Ottawa is a great place!

NOW 19 Dec 2018 16:34 #110178

Well howdy. I'm also from Toronto. Ever check out the Consciousness Explorer's Club? They're some cool cats

NOW 19 Dec 2018 19:34 #110179

Nice to meet you - looks like there a few folks here in Canada and Toronto specifically. I will let you know next time I am over there and maybe we can catch up for a meal or coffee? Yes I met Jeff Warren a few years ago at a Buddhist Geeks conference in Boulder - I think it was the last or second last one - nice guy. :)

NOW 02 Jan 2019 10:36 #110193

Benjie OK wrote:
Well howdy. I'm also from Toronto. Ever check out the Consciousness Explorer's Club? They're some cool cats

I am in Toronto as well (Mississauga, actually). Yes, I have checked out CEC and correspond with Jeff Warren on a sporadic basis. He is a super sharp meditator and instructor. I don't really have the time to get down to CEC on any kind of regular basis, so I check them out from afar.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds