If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cooking and Eating

Cooking and Eating 01 Mar 2019 11:18 #110671

My personal thread ended up with some food discussion about making simple one-pot meals, which I thought might be interesting for the general discussion. Do you have food habits, food rules, or food restrictions you follow for spiritual reasons or for other reasons?

Heading into Lent, which usually includes some degree of food restriction(s). I once tried not to eat cheese and couldn't do it.

Judging by the small quantity of lentil soup and rice that sufficed for lunch today the lentils and rice I have in the pantry could keep me fed til Easter. My brother in law once tried a soup diet, though (the same soup every meal), and he couldn't stick with it, especially as everyone else kept right on eating good old home-style cooking.

I'm on a low-carb/small portions diet anyway, to try to get my weight back down and avoid diabetes. After two years of limited ability to walk I got chubby and my blood sugar was starting to stay on the high side. So far so good. Aiming for a 'diet' that is permanent and sustainable, not a temporary measure. I'm fortunate to have my husband on the same team - we push each other, since he suffers from having a long work day sitting at a desk.

Anyway, this was the soup I made:

The little rounder French brown lentils - about a teacup worth
2 carrots, cut into little cubes
one onion, cut in half and peeled
a generous teaspoon of bouillon powder (i'd have used 1 cube plus some salt to taste if using cubes)
1 normal tomato, cut in 6 pieces
water to cover well
a generous teaspoon of olive oil

Cover and boil gently for at least an hour, checking and giving a stir every 15 minutes.

Adjust salt and water if necessary.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa

Cooking and Eating 01 Mar 2019 11:28 #110673

I use this to help remember favorite recipes, instead of the stained accordion folder full of index cards my mother used: onasrecipecollection.wordpress.com

Help yourself.

Cooking and Eating 01 Mar 2019 16:08 #110677

Meditating on a full stomach is almost impossible for me, so I try not to eat lots of food at a sitting. That's really difficult, though. I tend to be a rapid eater. My wife is constantly telling me to slow down while I eat. She's right, too.
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2019 16:09 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds