Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cooking and Eating

Cooking and Eating 01 Mar 2019 11:18 #110671

My personal thread ended up with some food discussion about making simple one-pot meals, which I thought might be interesting for the general discussion. Do you have food habits, food rules, or food restrictions you follow for spiritual reasons or for other reasons?

Heading into Lent, which usually includes some degree of food restriction(s). I once tried not to eat cheese and couldn't do it.

Judging by the small quantity of lentil soup and rice that sufficed for lunch today the lentils and rice I have in the pantry could keep me fed til Easter. My brother in law once tried a soup diet, though (the same soup every meal), and he couldn't stick with it, especially as everyone else kept right on eating good old home-style cooking.

I'm on a low-carb/small portions diet anyway, to try to get my weight back down and avoid diabetes. After two years of limited ability to walk I got chubby and my blood sugar was starting to stay on the high side. So far so good. Aiming for a 'diet' that is permanent and sustainable, not a temporary measure. I'm fortunate to have my husband on the same team - we push each other, since he suffers from having a long work day sitting at a desk.

Anyway, this was the soup I made:

The little rounder French brown lentils - about a teacup worth
2 carrots, cut into little cubes
one onion, cut in half and peeled
a generous teaspoon of bouillon powder (i'd have used 1 cube plus some salt to taste if using cubes)
1 normal tomato, cut in 6 pieces
water to cover well
a generous teaspoon of olive oil

Cover and boil gently for at least an hour, checking and giving a stir every 15 minutes.

Adjust salt and water if necessary.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa

Cooking and Eating 01 Mar 2019 11:28 #110673

I use this to help remember favorite recipes, instead of the stained accordion folder full of index cards my mother used: onasrecipecollection.wordpress.com

Help yourself.

Cooking and Eating 01 Mar 2019 16:08 #110677

Meditating on a full stomach is almost impossible for me, so I try not to eat lots of food at a sitting. That's really difficult, though. I tend to be a rapid eater. My wife is constantly telling me to slow down while I eat. She's right, too.
Last Edit: 01 Mar 2019 16:09 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

Cooking and Eating 17 Jul 2020 06:36 #112711

Deviled eggs are a childhood favorite. I saw this list of variations online. Unwilling to try any of them yet. But I might.

www.chowhound.com/food-news/269770/devil...ggs-around-the-world

Cooking and Eating 17 Jul 2020 07:41 #112713

I've been continuing to cook one pot braised meat dishes... which has been working really well for me. Basically melting all the protein and connective tissue into a very digestible stew/sauce that I put over veges and some sort of carb... or a bone broth soup of the same thing. It's a really healing way to eat.

Right now I'm a week or so into dieting -- smart dieting, I think. My guide is the "Perfect Health Diet" perfecthealthdiet.com/ which is one of the few diet books that make sense to my scientific mind. The essence of the book is described here: perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/ but the book has a lot of discussion of fine tuning diets and supplements and medicines to deal with chronic health problems that have nutritional or infectious causes. I've spent the last year or so eating better quality food, but my portion size has been off and I've been indulging in evening alcohol... so time to make amends. And especially good to do it during the hottest, longest-days of the year...

The essence of the science in the book is to make sure there aren't nutrition, infection, gut-health problems first, then worry about weight. If the metabolism isn't fixed, then any calorie restriction will cause metabolic disruption. Most pure calorie-restricting diets damage the metabolism, freaking it out, which means that the body will go into starvation stress and store mostly fat the next time calories are available. This explains how people gain even more weight after they lose a bunch of weight. These bad diets are basically training the body to store fat for the next famine...

So the idea is when the time is right -- when you are feeling and eating healthy -- you cut back on the % and amount of fat, since this is what is trying to be burned off, but you maintain a base level of "carbs and protein. for energy and maintaining muscle --- and enough fat that the body's metabolism doesn't freak out. Which is a long way of saying: the minimum is about 75g protien (300cals), 125g carbs (500cals), 55g fat (500cals) = 1300 cals. That's the minimum. And then the other important point is that it's perfectly fine to eat up to the amount of calories for your ideal weight -- based on your age and activity level see www.thecalculatorsite.com/health/bmr-calculator.php --- which for me is about ~2350 calories. So on any given day, I could eat the maximum restriction or a full calorie intact for my target weight, depending on my appetite. I let myself have 2oz of whiskey if I really want it, but I also know the best way to lose the weight is to not drink. Still, some days a whiskey is really appreciated. I'm finding this all very workable.

Since I really don't want to be counting calories, I came up with a standard meal plan that I can easily follow. Most meals are the same, and I adjust my dinner to reflect what I have at home and what my appetite is. So my cooking and eating these days is: 3 eggs for breakfast, a cup of oats and a cup of whole milk mid-morning, green juice (kale, carrots, celery, apple, garlic, ginger) for lunch, nuts as a snack mid-afternoon if needed, and then a meaty sauce over veges and rice/pasta or with bread. I don't eat any meal until I'm hungry, but I also don't let my body stay hungry for long time. It's been interesting to not eat according to the clock, but instead according to when my body needs it. And I'm finding that this is a good mix of meals that I like and treat me good, so I'm finding it fairly easy to maintain it.

And now for cooking and eating: I've really been enjoying playing with this style of cooking www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/dining/native...ipes-sioux-chef.html and this cookbook www.amazon.com/Sioux-Chefs-Indigenous-Kitchen/dp/0816699798. This cookbook is what got me into the braised meat meals. And, a very similar style from the french peasant tradition is in this cookbook: www.amazon.com/One-Knife-Pot-Dish-Simple/dp/141972746X

Hope that helps! Good eating!
Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020 07:47 by shargrol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Ona Kiser, Andy

Cooking and Eating 17 Jul 2020 08:16 #112714

It's been interesting to not eat according to the clock, but instead according to when my body needs it.

Yay! I started a plan sort of like this about a year ago and have lost approximately 40 pounds since, going from about 220 down to 180, on the way to my long term goal of 175. I eat sloooowly now, too. The plan I've been following says that how we eat is more important than what we eat (using common sense, of course). Stay away from sugar and wine. Alcohol in moderation is fine, but wine is the worst as it quickly turns into fat. I also exercise a lot more than I used to, which was almost never. So I walk a lot every day and do cardio and weights, not to bulk up but to keep muscle tone.

Glad to have company here.
Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020 08:17 by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ona Kiser

Cooking and Eating 17 Jul 2020 09:17 #112715

I remember an earlier post you made about dropping weight and it was kind of inspirational -- so thank you!

Yeah, wine -- oohlala. All that fructose that just seems to turn to fat... and increase the appetite so even more calories going in!

You know, this might sound strange but another huge motivator was me just _seeing myself_. I admit that I overlooked the creeping increase of weight --- and then suddenly I _saw_ it. I was putting on my backpacking pack and, well.... I noticed my waist didn't have a waist, so where was my hipbelt going to go? :( :D

I also added more weights and cardio earlier this year, mostly a short kettlebell routine (which I introduced very slowly, because I had a lot of weak links) and long walks. Good stuff.
Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020 09:20 by shargrol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Ona Kiser, Andy

Cooking and Eating 17 Jul 2020 16:18 #112719

Shargrol, have you done anything different due to the pandemic? I've added vitamin D to my regimen, at 1,000 mg daily.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol

Cooking and Eating 17 Jul 2020 17:34 #112721

Nothing particular.

I figure if this was a short-term thing I would stay completely topped up on energy and have a great immune response... but because it's a long term situation I've also been going through phases of exercising a little harder which, frankly, some days makes me feel a little weaker and more vulnerable. It feels a little "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

I take vitamins somewhat irregularly (I have a theory that a constant dose is not historically common, so I figure a episodic dose is maybe better). Every so often I take 5000 IU D3. Also sometimes some B12. And maybe every other day I take an old man vitamin: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FBPEV7M

>shrug<
Last Edit: 17 Jul 2020 17:35 by shargrol.

Cooking and Eating 18 Jul 2020 12:42 #112723

One thing I now don't have to take daily is a medication for hypertension. A better diet and exercise have taken its place. I still take a low-dose aspirin every day on doctor's orders because ...doctors. The vitamin D supplement is also at my doctor's orders. Apparently it's a big part of immune system functioning and I wasn't getting enough naturally because I work indoors and don't get out much. Ona, my doctor is Brazilian, with the last name de Alencar - for whatever that's worth. She's great. I prefer having a woman physician. My experience has been that they have a better bedside manner, are more patient, and caring.
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2020 12:57 by Chris Marti.

Cooking and Eating 18 Jul 2020 14:38 #112724

Some of my favorite medical professionals here have been women (my dentist is amazing) but one of the worst was, too! And she was an ob/gyn, of all things!! But still, the ladies as a whole way outscore the men on listening, thoughtfulness, care, etc.

I really think our overall health is way better with the 'stay home more' life, especially as now eat almost only homemade food, and get more fresh air and exercise. Moving to the mountains is still on the Plan B list if living here in Rio gets too hairy.

Cooking and Eating 18 Jul 2020 16:53 #112725

Ona Kiser wrote:
Some of my favorite medical professionals here have been women (my dentist is amazing) but one of the worst was, too! And she was an ob/gyn, of all things!! But still, the ladies as a whole way outscore the men on listening, thoughtfulness, care, etc.

I really think our overall health is way better with the 'stay home more' life, especially as now eat almost only homemade food, and get more fresh air and exercise. Moving to the mountains is still on the Plan B list if living here in Rio gets too hairy.

I was really naive about doctors because I grew up with them and they were all great people and many were heads of departments, etc. But then I started encountering the types of doctors which give meaning to the saying "all C's and you get your MD". (Hmm, now I'm remembering the exceptions to the rule, like a goofy psycholgist that lived nearby, but anyway...) And heh, a woman doctor nearly killed my wife by prescribing too much thyroid medication (resting HR around 110BPM and higher during normal walking around) and argued with my wife that she should keep taking the dose.

But anyway, +1 about the increase in health due to stay at home. What it has really done for me is put my life under a microscope with no distractions. If my body aches it's because I'm choosing to sit wrong. If I'm getting tired easily it's because I'm not exercising. If I'm getting fat it's because I'm not eating well. If I'm bored with my food it's because I'm not taking enough ownership for it.

And I must be saving a ton of money by making my own coffee and cooking at home :D
Last Edit: 18 Jul 2020 16:55 by shargrol.

Cooking and Eating 18 Jul 2020 18:42 #112726

Totally true on the money saving! And though at first we kept ordering weekly delivery from a few favorite places we've stopped doing even that because it's always disappointing compared to homemade. Too much of this, too little of that, too greasy, too salty, etc. When you cook at home you can make exactly what you want. And with the exception of a few spectacular fails (such as burning a pot of soup!!!!) it isn't that hard to turn out good food without too much hassle. I never cooked this much from scratch before - even in the US, where I cooked a lot more, I made a lot of dishes with semi-prepared ingredients (jars of sauces, frozen items, deli items, etc.).

Cooking and Eating 18 Jul 2020 19:01 #112727

Finally visiting AN and how interesting that this thread has reawakened. Since the beginning of July, I decided I needed to take more control of my eating. I chose to follow Jud Brewer's "Eat Right Now", which is basically about using mindfulness to watch what and how you eat (eat slowly, per Chris above!), and to separate out habit eating from hunger eating. Then, be more mindful of what you eat, and how much, when you are hunger eating. Like Shargrol, I suddenly saw a few too many pounds and decided enough was enough. My biggest issues were that I was snacking more and more during the workday, that my portion sizes were too large at meals, and I was eating a LOT of bread. So for the month of July, my theme is going to be moderation and mindful eating, with only a modest goal in terms of weight loss.

And finally, I can get back into a pool.

Cooking and Eating 19 Jul 2020 09:13 #112728

My wife keeps telling relatives that I'm "skinny." My reaction to that is "Thank goodness!" May it ever be so.

Cooking and Eating 20 Jul 2020 08:54 #112732

I would like to get back to the weight I had when I first started to think "I should lose some weight"...
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds