Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dreams of general incompetence

Dreams of general incompetence 17 Jan 2020 06:41 #112009

When I have more vivid dreams the past few months they always include elaborate scenes of that theme of general incompetence, such as "showed up to class only to discover I'd forgotten to get dressed" or "discovered I was actually a student, and it was exam week, but I'd forgotten to go to class all semester and didn't even remember which classes I was taking."

Last night included:
1) setting up a display of my favorite personal knick-knacks (all fictional) in a knick-knack store next to the cash register, so people could see them, only to realize that I had to leave for some urgent reason and people would probably think they were for sale and buy them, but there was no choice but to risk it.
2) Deciding to park the car in the lower lot of the grocery store, because it was New Years Eve and that way I would be able to get out easily, except when I arrived the western side of the lot was being used for a candle-lit silent meditation on the sunset, except that's where I had to pull in, and of course the brakes were really dream-soft and I was pressing them desperately to the floor trying not to run into the candles or the hundreds of meditators. The car kept ending up rolling into crooked positions, so I had to keep backing out and re-parking, and each time I rolled dangerously close to setting a fire by knocking over the forest of fancy candles or irritating the meditators by running a car near their spot.
3) Going to fix dinner in the study of a house I was staying at (which is where the hotel-style fridge full of olives, chocolate and other snacks was), but just as I was setting the food out on the desk the homeowner decided to change a lightbulb above the desk, so I had to put everything away, and then he asked me and his wife to go find a 13 foot step ladder in the basement so he could reach the bulb, but of the dozens of ladders in the basement all of them were 11 foot.

That's all I remember at the moment. I was thinking that people's incompetence dreams would make a very funny illustrated book, cartoon series or art project. Only because they are so universal and so humorous. I'd love to hear your favorites, recent or old.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

Dreams of general incompetence 21 Jan 2020 08:39 #112011

Definitely the exam thing - in mine I've usually been given a year to retake my finals but I've frittered it all away and the exam is in a couple of days and every time I frantically try to do a bit of revision something interrupts me.

Another recurring one is that I'm back at a former workplace - usually when I worked in the NHS - and I'm trying to write this really neat program but I can never find a free desk or terminal, or I have to leave my desk and when I come back it's moved or occupied.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

Dreams of general incompetence 21 Jan 2020 14:44 #112012

Doing a lot of work as a freelance musician, my incompetence dreams are usually about arriving at a gig and realizing that I don't know the music we should be playing. It's always that I've just somehow forgot to do the work. The funniest one was when I was subbing Paul McCartney in The Beatles. Somehow I didn't know any of their songs. Ringo tried to help me by writing down verbal descriptions of the songs (which isn't very helpful... :D). We played at a student party in Kuopio, a smallish town in Finland and the audience didn't seem to be too interested in us.

I think those dreams are my subconscious mind getting ready for challenging performance situations, which are unavoidable in real life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

Dreams of general incompetence 24 Jan 2020 10:43 #112015

The car whose brakes don't work well was featured again last night. Different car and story, but same mechanical problem. lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalle Ylitalo

Dreams of general incompetence 27 Jan 2020 00:05 #112019

I wonder if brakes go into the category of stuff that just doesn't work in dreams. Operating electronics has a low chance of success in dreams, for example phones are likely to function in unexpected ways. Or reading books in dreams. Most of the time the letters are unreable or the language keeps changing etc. Clocks also have a tendency to function weirdly. If I remember correctly it has something to do with the part of the brain that is responsible for the continuity of experience being less active. Looking out for those unexpected events is a technique to become lucid during dreams. I recommend reading Dreams of Awakening by Charlie Morley. It's a fun book with lots of interesting facts about dreams.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ona Kiser

Dreams of general incompetence 27 Jan 2020 07:08 #112020

That's true. Last night I spent trying to find a place to park the car, driving round and round a small town downtown. :side:
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Kalle Ylitalo

Dreams of general incompetence 27 Jan 2020 12:00 #112022

This dream dates back to 20 years or so ago, in which I dreamt I was teaching a class on the Eucharistic Controversy for my Reformation History course. Background: the key to the controversy has to do with the ontological status of symbols. When Jesus at the Last Supper holds up the bread and says, “This is my body,” what does the “is” mean—that it is literally Christ’s physical body, on which his followers feed in the sacrament? Or does it mean that the bread symbolizes Christ’s body, thus devaluing the physical in favor of the spiritual, bringing partakers into spiritual communion with Christ? Luther wanted the former interpretation, whereas Swiss reformers like Ulrich Zwingli endorsed the latter. People fought wars over this issue.

Okay, so the dream: I had just gotten out of the shower, and had nothing on except a white bath towel wrapped around me. I was at the front of the class writing on the blackboard with my right hand while lecturing and trying to hold on to the towel with my left, except the damn thing kept slipping. Finally I lost it altogether, at which point I gave up in exasperation, turned to face the class, spread out my arms, and said, “what the hell—This is my body!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Ona Kiser
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds