Awakenetwork Participation

More
2 years 6 months ago #109443 by Chris Marti

You two are full of it. Or rather, as conditioned phenomena you are empty. And my emptiness is emptier than your emptiness.

Just words.

:P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 years 6 months ago #109444 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Awakenwtwork Participation

Laurel Carrington wrote: You two are full of it. Or rather, as conditioned phenomena you are empty. And my emptiness is emptier than your emptiness.

Reminds me of this:

"Monks gloats over yoga championship: I am the serenest!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago #109446 by Michael V

Andy wrote:

Laurel Carrington wrote: You two are full of it. Or rather, as conditioned phenomena you are empty. And my emptiness is emptier than your emptiness.

Reminds me of this:

"Monks gloats over yoga championship: I am the serenest!"

“I’m beside myself right now, and I don’t mean trans-bodily.” :lol:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Ranger

More
2 years 6 months ago #109448 by matthew sexton
this place and the peeps have been awesome for me. i just moved, tried to keep both houses connected to century link which made their IT back end explode into conflicting billing/disconnect/service order race conditions (we are lucky nobody died!), my cell phone batteries turned into space heaters, my laptop went into safe (for it not me) mode, so I have not been posting much.

my practice has come some kind of circle so I don't know what to say about it.

the subject at hand (this thread)... it's an opportunity.... not sure what though.

M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael V, Ranger

More
2 years 6 months ago #109454 by Ranger
Replied by Ranger on topic Awakenwtwork Participation
As a newcomer here I'm still finding my way around. I love the fact that there's a Thank You button, as opposed to say DhO where I want to show interest and appreciation in what somebody wrote but in many cases don't feel a reply would do more than draw attention to myself without contributing anything useful. I hope this site continues and that many people participate and benefit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shargrol, Laurel Carrington, Junglist, Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago #109458 by Rod
Replied by Rod on topic Awakenwtwork Participation
Hi All, - been a while! Well, as one of those who hasn't participated in a long time, always happy to support/help folks but have no idea if anything said would be of benefit - was never greatly skilled in this area. Used to log my journey in a fair amount of detail here (its on this site somewhere) and am very grateful to those here who supported with their advice and encouragement - many of those people still post here it seems - THANKYOU! :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Laurel Carrington, Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago #109459 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Awakenwtwork Participation
Monthly logs summary > daily details IMO

Also, may be good to refresh the culture statement of KFD- “people are getting enlightened here”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

More
2 years 6 months ago #109460 by Chris Marti
Rod, nice to see you here once again. You have more to say than you think! Don't be a stranger.

Thanks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rod

More
2 years 6 months ago #109461 by Chris Marti
Hi, Noah.

Thanks for chiming in. Can you please elaborate a little bit?

More
2 years 6 months ago #109462 by Laurel Carrington

Noah wrote: Monthly logs summary > daily details IMO

Depends on where you are and what’s happening.

More
2 years 6 months ago #109463 by Laurel Carrington

Chris Marti wrote: Rod, nice to see you here once again. You have more to say than you think! Don't be a stranger.

Thanks.

I agree. If you are inclined, please rejoin us.

More
2 years 6 months ago #109465 by Rod
Thanks Chris - nice to connect again! :)

More
2 years 6 months ago #109466 by Rod
Thanks Laurel - would be nice to connect on the network again :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Laurel Carrington, Ranger

More
2 years 6 months ago #109468 by shargrol
Replied by shargrol on topic Awakenwtwork Participation
Yay!

More
2 years 6 months ago #109472 by Andromeda
I made an awakenetwork account a couple of months ago with the intent to participate, but thus far I've only managed to read old threads (so much to learn! grateful for the opportunity to lurk btw) and respond to the cult thread, which I subscribed to and which prompted me to check in today. I've had a lot going on in meatspace lately so that's part of my excuse, and also lots of wonderful and fun emails with various practitioners which is another part. That's probably the big thing: I find email a much more comfortable way to communicate as it allows for more depth when talking about practice, and it also requires a lot less brain power to write something when only one or a few people will be reading it versus a broad audience.

At any rate, I think it would be a mistake to think that just because people make accounts and never post they aren't getting anything out of the forum.

I'm gonna go say something about cults now...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #109474 by Chris Marti
The typical poster to reader ratio on most message boards is roughly 10 readers for every active poster. Well, that's the folklore. We could calculate the ratio here but that's less important than knowing that without enough active posters all the readers and posters will slowly take their leave.

:)
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Chris Marti.

More
2 years 6 months ago #109483 by Andromeda
I'll try to post more in order to pay off my lurker debt :)

More
2 years 6 months ago #109484 by Chris Marti

More
2 years 6 months ago #109485 by Chris Marti
This conversation led me to look at the Google Analytics for this website. We average about 75 users per day but most of them look at one page and then drop off. The audience is mostly from the U.S., Great Britain and France. The average time in site is over 3 1/2 minutes but it's heavily weighted toward the very active users, whether they're readers or posters. Users here are about 55% male and 45% female, and their interests skew toward sports and related activities, technology and science.

More
2 years 6 months ago #109486 by shargrol
Replied by shargrol on topic Awakenwtwork Participation
My interests are skewed towards breakfast burritos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago - 2 years 6 months ago #109487 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic Awakenwtwork Participation

Chris Marti wrote: Hi, Noah.

Thanks for chiming in. Can you please elaborate a little bit?

IMO of myself & watching others, most people tend to journal when it feel right to them. Practice logging based on what feels instinctively correct for one's own path is not what is likely to be of greatest benefit to their own path or inspiring to others. Meaning, journaling your practice when it feels wrong, but you have made a commitment is best. That said, daily or weekly journals may not be scalable, thus monthly journals even if its "didn't practice this month" are most doable for the modern busy life.This will help mitigate the drama of over excitation about practice or over self criticsm about non practice.

More broadly, ego development in practice includes thinking on an increased time scale. Thus, if possible, we should think about pragmatic dharma lasting for decades & centuries. Our practice journals should last for the remainder of the time in this body. Awake Network's longevity could follow suit. Of course, if one assumes they have completed their sadhana & only participate to help others (or that they have somehow "moved on" from linear thinking about practice), that poses an obvious obstacle to this line of thinking...

P.S. - this type of increased time scale requires increased maturity & nuance to see that the ultimate realization of all thing's being impermanent goes hand in hand.

P.S. 2 - I do no work to maintain this website so I truly "can't talk" in terms of the time & energy that goes into that. These are just my peanut gallery philosophies.
Last edit: 2 years 6 months ago by Noah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, shargrol, Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago #109510 by Andy
Replied by Andy on topic Awakenwtwork Participation

Chris Marti wrote: This conversation led me to look at the Google Analytics for this website. We average about 75 users per day but most of them look at one page and then drop off. The audience is mostly from the U.S., Great Britain and France. The average time in site is over 3 1/2 minutes but it's heavily weighted toward the very active users, whether they're readers or posters. Users here are about 55% male and 45% female, and their interests skew toward sports and related activities, technology and science.

Chris, I'm curious what the one page is. Is it all one page in the site, say, Forums/All Recent, for example, or are people arriving at the main page and leaving? Also is it possible to differentiate between users who sign in and who don't?

More
2 years 6 months ago #109512 by Chris Marti
Andy, I'll print the traffic flow and post it here. That will answer your questions, I think. If not, we can do more research.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy

More
2 years 6 months ago #109516 by Tom Otvos

Chris Marti wrote: Tom, what are your plans for Awakenetwork's future? Do you need financial support?

Sorry for not being around the last few days...been very busy with other things. To the question of financial support, no, nothing beyond what a number of generous folks are contributing every so often to keep the hosting going. I appreciate the contributions, large and small. Thank you!

As to what my plans are, I would certainly like to see it continue, but it is frustrating that there is so little momentum. DhO isn't that much better, but still there is something going on there. There seems to be an influx of new member requests here, many of whom are coming from DhO, but once approved they do not seem to post. Suggestions on how to change that are welcome.

On my want-to-do-yesterday list, I would very much like to redo the infrastructure so that it is more easily upgradeable, and hardened against hackers. That is mostly a time thing, but it also calls (back) into question the social network aspect of this site. As everyone knows, that is something that I have always wanted to keep and encourage its use of, especially for sharing quick bits of "stuff" that you come across that (a) don't merit a discussion topic, (b) aren't really the continuation of an existing discussion topic, and (c) would be something that you might share on Facebook if your FB friends were all dharma friends. That seems like an uphill battle here, but where it is relevant to my wish list is that upgrading that piece would be a small amount of money to pay for the license. Plus some more time.

To the shargrol's that want to write essays, there continues to be the "Read" section of this site, for just that thing. But I get that you might prefer to have that kind of stuff under your own "brand" of a personal website, so maybe the "Read" section is a failed experiment.

So, I am happy to continue to support AN as long as people find it of value. I just don't have a good sense of that value right now, so it does make it a bit hard to apply myself to upgrading, or repairing the latest hacker attack, etc.

-- tomo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti, Andy, Kacchapa, Laurel Carrington, Rod, Philip, Junglist, Michael V

More
2 years 6 months ago #109519 by Chris Marti
Tom, thanks for your reply. It's helpful to know what's on your mind in regard to AN because you ARE AN at this point.