The Fragile State of Modern Dharma

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #117751 by Chris Marti
Sam, I see you’ve graduated from the Dusko school of message board etiquette.

:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
3 weeks 6 days ago #117755 by Ona Kiser
Chris, there must be something in the water lately? Or sunspots?

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #117757 by Chris Marti
It's probably just due to the fragile state of modern dharma :)

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #117758 by Philip Stone
The febrile state of modern dharma?

I thought it might be this:  Buck Supermoon 2022: How to see July’s full Moon | BBC Science Focus Magazine

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #117759 by Kate Gowen
I think you’re on to something, Philip.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #117760 by Chris Marti
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell."

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #117765 by Ona Kiser
There's a mildly interesting book I read once by a European or American Theravada (I think) student who went to Thailand to be a monk, and was appalled to discover that many of the monks were there for other reasons besides dharma, including guys who were hiding from the police because they'd committed some crime in their home village, to men who were looking for a place where they could have easier sexual access to more men without their families knowing, to men who just didn't want to bother having a job or other worldly expectations... It went into some detail, but it's been a while. 

Anyway, vaguely on the topic of disappointments with spirituality, overly high expectations of other people, and our own fragility and woundedness... all of which are normal.

More
3 weeks 5 days ago #117770 by SigmaTropic
Yeah, that's exactly why I'm creating a new type of fraternity- because the monasteries and other centers where awakening is supposed to be taught are corrupted. 

One milestone in my training is equivalent Arhatship, although I prefer to call it level 4 non-self insight. My training leads to many spiritual openings and developments before that. I am an awakened teacher, and I will describe in detail how to attain the Arhatship attainment and beyond. My training leads to direct insight into mind nature and the traditional Buddhist attainments are attained in the process. 

Just know that I am happy to take 4th path meditators as students, and my students will never be required to publicly acknowledge our arrangement. The identities of my students are confidential, and I get that there can be public personas that we are attached to, but I can help students break out into a freer way of being.