AI and Dharma

More
6 months 5 days ago #120963 by microbuddha
Replied by microbuddha on topic AI and Dharma
Following the creation of new "GPT's"  through some reddit forums... Don't want to be a paid subscriber yet...  the clunky free GPT works well enough for right now.

Oh yeah, back to the AI in the medical office.  ( patient rooms ).   A little back story... EMR ( electronic medical records ) were touted as time-savin wonder that was going to allow Drs. and PA's to have increased efficiency.  Now we would be able to document a patients encounter with a few clicks of a mouse....and we would be able to save money by reducing staff!   Paper charts were inefficient the sales people said!!.  Move into the future!  I trained on on a clunky first gen. EMR in 2004.  My doctor was so proud of her investment, inviting all her doctor friends over to the office to see her forward thinking.   It was a piece of garbage!   Paper charting was soooo much faster.   Fast forward a few years... second gen...still garbage.  Too much time to document, zero flexibility, endless scrolling, clicking.  And I had to do it all.   Five years ago, we got the latest generation " state of the art ", but this time a whole new classification of medical workers has been created... the scribe.  Now we will be freed up from any tapping, bopping, scrolling... but somebody else will do it!  And we will add more staff now, so instead of two workers per Dr./PA. we now need three... and still inefficiencies because, well, this staff needs to be trained...and when just get trained well enough... they leave.  Because well, there is turnover when companies don't want to pay staff well enough..
So back to the present.  This EMR company is all in with AI.  They are planning to record 1,000,000 patient encounters over the next 6 months to build their model.   I will be able to hit a button, record the conversation and it will potentially auto populate the entire patient record, order labs, and send prescriptions with a simple ok. from me.   But first, we have to fill out paperwork...  liability release paperwork from every person in the room.  I am going to nope out on the training data acquisition as much as I would like to help build the model.  We simply don't have the time to explain all this to our elderly folks and try to convince them that this will be a good thing in their best interest.   And most of my patients are older and very, very conservative.  Skeptical and untrusting of " new fangled stuff like smart phones " 

Who is listening to me?  Is this Joe Biden's idea?   Are you going to microchip me while you are at it too? ...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 5 days ago #120964 by microbuddha
Are any of these people hallucinations? 

More
6 months 5 days ago #120967 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic AI and Dharma

Probably in a year or so, you indeed will be able to have him reading it in his voice...

That can be done right now. Today. Try to keep up, man  :)

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #120968 by Chris Marti

Are any of these people hallucinations? 

What people? The therapists referred to by the AI? If so then no, they're real. I checked - they all have extensive public records and practices that are documented. They're the results of Bing search the AI did in real-time in answer to my question. And of course, the Buddhism teachers are real - we know them to exist, pre-LLM AI.
Last edit: 6 months 5 days ago by Chris Marti.

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #120969 by Chris Marti
IMS has released a documentary on the founding of the Insight Meditation Society called...

Inside Insight, The Founding Story 

<Props to  Har-Prakash Khalsa>

More
6 months 5 days ago #120970 by Shargrol
Replied by Shargrol on topic AI and Dharma
I was doing some Bing AI searches yesterday, using plain language to search for sources of information on midwest winter camping, gear lists, locations, etc... While the plain language interface is nice, I was struck by the fact that the output was basically the same info as a keyword search, but slower and a shorter list. Normally the "good stuff" is the third page of a keyword search where the esoteric stuff starts showing up.

Ulimately, I feel like the plain language interface slows me down. I would rather have 250 links given to me and then use my own intelligence to skim and locate what I'm looking for.

That's my experience as a very late adopter... I'm sure it will evolve.

And, for the record, I for one welcome our new AI overlords. :)

More
6 months 5 days ago - 6 months 5 days ago #120971 by Chris Marti
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree - if you're searching for a simple answer like a list of locations, then Bing or Google is the way to go, especially if you want to review the results yourself. AI can manipulate the information far better than a search engine but that requires dedicated effort and prompting skills. It's not fast the first time you create and then use it.

I'm learning this huge lesson by doing what I'm doing on OpenAI and a few other platforms - AI is more fun to make than it is to use. I think this explains a lot of the enthusiasm surrounding AI and a lot of the disappointment, too.

But... there are very clearly valuable use cases for AI, so I keep pecking away.

More
6 months 5 days ago #120975 by microbuddha
yeah, the therapists.  Good for Bing. 

More
5 months 3 weeks ago #120985 by Benjie OK
Replied by Benjie OK on topic AI and Dharma
Thanks to this, I just had a long "conversation" with AI Rob Burbea. I had to laugh at how many of the answers included some variation of "It depends", and then it would proceed to say how it might or might not help, and how you really have to get in there and see "what feels supportive". Very Rob Burbeaish answers! 

More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #120986 by Chris Marti
If AI Rob Burbea was trained using Rob Burbea's written and spoken material then it can't help but sound like him :)
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by Chris Marti.

More
5 months 1 week ago #120988 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic AI and Dharma
Finally catching up on AN and this is fascinating stuff, Chris. I have not played with the custom GPTs yet on OpenAI, but if you can feed it MCTB2, can you not feed it AN (and with it, KFD)? Or /r/streamentry?

This could be super powerful, and I am glad you took this on.

-- tomo

More
5 months 1 week ago #120990 by Papa-Dusko
Replied by Papa-Dusko on topic AI and Dharma
I think Chris will break the dharma with his AI skills! :P :D 

Oh no! The dhamma first gets watered down by the west and now stripped down to its 1’s and 0’s !!! 

What’s next? My personal AI Jesus! Or my personal AI Buddha? Ha! :D 

p.s. just kidding! 

More
5 months 1 week ago - 5 months 1 week ago #120993 by Chris Marti
Hi, Tom.

Yes, we can feed AN, KFD, etc. to a ChatGPT. Let's talk about how to do that. I've been thinking about this and have some ideas. It would involve only public comments.
Last edit: 5 months 1 week ago by Chris Marti.

More
5 months 1 week ago #120995 by Chris Marti
<<Tom moved this segment from my personal topic to this new one.>>

The custom AI I've been working on has the following in its knowledge:
  • MCTB2
  • My personal meditation log
  • Shargrol's DhO dialog as curated by the DhO member "Pepe"
  • The Visudhimagga
  • The message board discussions on the DhO, although I have to force the AI to parse this website for each use for some reason

It's easy to add saved text content. I don't know if OpenAI has a size limit on the knowledge subscribers can add but it might be fun to find out. What other public-domain Buddhism information can I add? Open to suggestions to help make this an all-around expert system.

I do worry about ChatGPT bleeding information so before any of this goes public in the ChatGPT store they'll have to fix that.

More
5 months 6 days ago #120996 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic AI and Dharma
I think what to put into it can be influenced by what we want to get out of it. Is this intended to be a Pragmatic Dharma AI, or a Buddhist AI?

Should the various discourses be used as input?

-- tomo

More
5 months 6 days ago - 5 months 6 days ago #120997 by Chris Marti
Good questions!

The GPT I've worked on started as a purely MCTB2-centric entity. Then, to experiment with it, I added the other knowledge (my log, shargrol, etc.). The purpose was to figure it out and play around with it; How did adding new knowledge change its responses? How easy or hard is it to add/remove knowledge sources? What's the file format to use when adding sources, and does it matter? Stuff like that.
Last edit: 5 months 6 days ago by Chris Marti.

More
5 months 2 hours ago #121013 by Chris Marti

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #121015 by Papa-Dusko
So … :) I could make me a Personal Jesus? :D 

More
4 months 4 weeks ago #121016 by Chris Marti
I do believe the New Testament is in the public domain, so... sure. Just do it!

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #121174 by Chris Marti
I'm testing something - can anyone access this URL?

An MCTB2  AI 

Assuming you can access the URL, when you click on the link that says "Open" what happens?
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Chris Marti.

More
3 months 1 week ago #121175 by smiling stone
Replied by smiling stone on topic AI and Dharma
Hey Chris,
It works. I'm asked to create a free account for Mindstudio (which I did not)...

More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #121177 by Chris Marti
Thanks!

If you create a free account you will be able to access and use the MCTB2 AI I created a while back.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Chris Marti.

More
3 months 4 days ago #121180 by Papa-Dusko
When I press on that link it asks me to choose if to open with email or Google or Apple ID and to click a little “agree” box. Then it opens a new page where I must sign in somehow. I didn’t sign in. I hoped it could open without any signing in. But I’m in Denmark so … might be different rules about AI not sure. 

More
3 months 4 days ago #121181 by Chris Marti
Yeah, that's crappy. I hate it. The problem is, to eliminate that stuff, I'd have to pay MindStudio every month for the right to link directly to AIs I create. I paid OpenAI for a while to take advantage of their AI authoring tools, but they also want additional fees to allow direct access. Then, I seriously started to dislike OpenAI because of their not-for-profit scam. So, I unsubscribed and moved over to MindStudio.

The more I play around with this stuff, the more I think it's not ready for prime time. The tools are evolving very fast, but the business models suck.

More
2 months 3 weeks ago #121183 by Chris Marti
AI (ChatGPT, actually) are human-like in one respect - they, too, go crazy sometimes:

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/chatgpt-status-reddit-down-gibberish-messages-latest-b2499816.html

This started happening yesterday afternoon. No one knows why it's happening.