Newbie Question

• Acss1
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #94227 by Acss1
Newbie Question was created by Acss1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, but not to Buddhism. I've practiced in the Zen tradition for the last 6 years and have recently been enticed by Kenneth's work.

I have a quick question. In Kenneth's quick start guide he breaks 1st gear up into 4 categories. My question is: how long does one spend in a given category before moving on to the next? Any help is much appreciated.

Al
The topic has been locked.
  • Russell
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #94228 by Russell
Replied by Russell on topic Re: Newbie Question
I wouldn't worry about 2nd or 3rd gear for now. Stay with 1st gear noting practice until around after 2nd path and you can cultivate 6th jhana.
  • Acss1
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #94229 by Acss1
Replied by Acss1 on topic Re: Newbie Question
Thanks Russell!

I think I didn't communicate my question clearly. Within the 1st gear Kenneth has four categories:
1.Objectify Body Sensations
2.Objectify Feeling Tone
3.Objectify Mind States
4.Objectify Thoughts

My questions is: How long do I spend in the first category before moving on to the second and so forth.

Also, Russell how do you determine which Jhana you are in?

Regards,

Al
  • Russell
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #94230 by Russell
Replied by Russell on topic Re: Newbie Question
OK, sorry about my brief answer. I was on my phone. My real answer is. SIMPLIFY.

Do not worry about Jhana's for now, unless you really want to work on concentration practices. We are talking about vipassana here with the noting technique. So, that being said. The 4 foundations that Kenneth speaks about. If it is hard for you to note all of them at once, try doing each category (1 note a second) for 5-10 minutes each. If you can combine them all, then great. It is much simpler than most people make it out to me. Just notice what is going on. Note what is most prominent in your experience at that time. It can sound something like this: Itching, anxious, rising, falling, imaging thought, hearing, planning thought, pleasant, tingling. If you find yourself trying to find something to note, maybe note 'hunting' or 'searching', or go back to the rising and falling of your breath.

That's it! Just keep doing that, and maybe start a practice log here to post what is going on in your sits.
  • Acss1
  • Topic Author
10 years 9 months ago #94231 by Acss1
Replied by Acss1 on topic Re: Newbie Question
Thanks Russell! Thank was very helpful.