If this site provides value to you and your practice, please consider donating a small amount to help with the hosting fees.
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This section is for all local & regionally-based pragmatic dharma meetups. Individual sub sections are for private discussion within each region. The main section is public, serving as a group directory & common meeting ground.

TOPIC: PDS - Directory of Meetups- Open Discussion Thread

PDS - Directory of Meetups- Open Discussion Thread 02 Sep 2017 19:12 #107654

This space will be used to store information about local, pragmatically-oriented, meditation groups, as they come up. Beyond an emphasis on serious practice towards awakening & frank discussion of that, there is no single, binding factor of the groups on this page. However, some general principles include:

• Peer led / non-heirerchacial
  • Openness
  • Focus on what works, including D.I.Y. and/or working with a teacher
  • Individual empowerment / awakening is possible
  • Groups will likely include focus within multiple teachers, traditions & techniques

Please see the list below to find a meetup near you. If you are interested in starting one, please email <seattlespuds at gmail dot com> for help on how to get started.

Australia (virtual)
Meeting Time: Most Sundays, afternoon
Meeting Location: Video chat platform
Meeting Format: Open Discussion
For More Information: Contact <seattlespuds at gmail dot com>

Dharma Overground Berlin
Meeting Time: Variable
Meeting Location: Members' homes
Meeting Format: Open Discussion + sitting practice
For More Information: email dho-berlin (rat) lists (pot) hactrn (rot) ch

Denver Pragmatic Dharma Society

Meeting Time: Every Sunday at 1pm
Meeting Location: Member’s home
Meeting Format: Open Discussion
For More Information: Contact <denverpragmaticdharmasociety at gmail dot com>

Leeds (UK) Pragmatic Dharma Group
Small group in Leeds interested in vipassana and metta bhavana. Inspired by MCTB and TMI. Open to all who wish to share their practice and hear from others.
Meeting Time: Every Tuesday, 6.45pm – 8.45pm
Meeting Location: Member’s home
Meeting Format: Check-in → 40-60min sit → cuppa(!) → discussion about practice (or listen to recorded talk)
For More Information: Contact <lpdgroup at hotmail dot com>

San Diego Pragmatic Dharma Society
Meeting Time: Every other Monday, 6pm - 8pm
Meeting Location: Hennessey's Tavern - 7811 Herschel Avenue, San Diego, CA, United States
Meeting Format: TBD
For More Information: TBD

Seattle Pragmatic Dharma Society ('SPuDS')
We are a group of meditators in Seattle of various skill levels who meet regularly to discuss deep practice and the paths to awakening. We study with a variety of teachers and traditions. Our activities are completely peer-led and open to anyone who wishes to share their practice and hear from others.

Meeting Time: Every Friday 5:15pm - 10pm
Meeting Location: 5:15pm - 6:45pm either Capitol Hill or SLU neighborhoods | 7:15pm - 10pm either Ravenna or Greenwood neighborhoods
Meeting Format: Open/Walk-In hangout & discussion about practice
For More Information: Contact <seattlespuds at gmail dot com>

U.K. Pragmatic Dharma (virtual)
Virtual sangha with a core group of practitioners in the U.K. interested in a pragmatic approach to meditation.
Meeting Time: On the 2nd & 4th Mondays each month, 8pm - 10pm
Meeting Location: Video meeting @ appear.in/ukpd-chat
Meeting Format: Open discussion of practice
For More Information: Contact <seattlespuds at gmail dot com> to be added to the Discord
Last Edit: 05 Dec 2017 14:35 by Noah.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cedric reeves, Dominic

PDS - Directory of Meetups 12 Nov 2017 11:41 #108039

You could add our meetup in Berlin:

Dharma Overground Berlin (Germany) meetup group:
For More Information: visit the mailing list page www.hactrn.ch/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dho-berlin
Last Edit: 13 Nov 2017 07:49 by neko.

PDS - Directory of Meetups 13 Nov 2017 07:33 #108049

neko wrote:

Thanks! That's awesome. How long have you guys been meeting?

PDS - Directory of Meetups 13 Nov 2017 07:43 #108051

Noah wrote:
How long have you guys been meeting?

Since September 2014. We're about 10 regulars and almost as many different nationalities :)

Florian (Weps) started the mailing list a bit earlier than that, but it wasn't really active until a certain critical mass was reached.

Noah wrote:
My time in the Seattle group indicates that conversation is better when people speak to their experience. I likely won't say anything unless someone was being really silly though.

So would you be ok if someone said something like "I believe I went through something similar to what you describe, and practices X Y Z helped me work with / through it"?

I guess it depends a lot on the specifics, like how well you know the people in the meetup group, how similar the approaches to meditation, and so on.
Last Edit: 13 Nov 2017 07:44 by neko.

PDS - Directory of Meetups 13 Nov 2017 07:48 #108052

neko wrote:

Actually for the Dho-Berlin group, contact us at:

www.hactrn.ch/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/dho-berlin

the email address I gave above won't work unless you've subscribed already.

PDS - Directory of Meetups 13 Nov 2017 13:31 #108053

neko wrote:
Noah wrote:
How long have you guys been meeting?

Since September 2014. We're about 10 regulars and almost as many different nationalities :)

Florian (Weps) started the mailing list a bit earlier than that, but it wasn't really active until a certain critical mass was reached.

Noah wrote:
My time in the Seattle group indicates that conversation is better when people speak to their experience. I likely won't say anything unless someone was being really silly though.

So would you be ok if someone said something like "I believe I went through something similar to what you describe, and practices X Y Z helped me work with / through it"?

I guess it depends a lot on the specifics, like how well you know the people in the meetup group, how similar the approaches to meditation, and so on.

Damn you guys have been around for a long time! I'm surprised we hadn't connected earlier. Glad to include you in this directory. Maybe you could give us some advice from a more seasoned perspective. If you're able to join the video call that could be an interesting discussion topic.

Re the way of speaking in the video meetings, I just deleted that part based on your feedback.
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds