Online group directed meditation?

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #116213 by Maryann
Hello,
I’m a new member sent here by my psychologist so I can see that the world is full of people who meditate and work on self compassion, true happiness, and emotional/personal growth as a regular part of life. I have been doing a LOT of self discovery over the last few years but find it difficult to be consistent or maintain meditation practice when my friends and colleagues aren’t on the same journey.  For example, at a recent dinner with type A personality co-workers my contributions to the conversation regarding my self-work and journey of self-discovery were not met with understanding or value. I had no goal or purpose they could relate to as in their jobs. While they were no patronizing, it was simply awkward. 

I’ll be skimming the various postings here and already enjoyed reading two articles in the “Read” menu.  Are there resources here for live guided meditation? How do I find “my people” in the variety of discussion boards?

I look forward to exploring this community,

Maryann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #116214 by Ona Kiser
Hi Maryann. I'm not aware of any currently active groups, but if you look at 'recent topics' you'll see the people who are most active recently and group activities can be arranged at will. We sometimes have social zoom sessions just to chat. Some people meet up one on one to help each other with practice. Feel free to ask for what you want! 

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #116220 by Kacchapa
Hi Maryann, I've done several group meditations online, and an online retreat, and find that I really like it. I find that it's not as different from sitting together live as I originally expected. During covid a lot of groups and meditation centers have expanded online and I think a number of them are continuing or doing hybrid, zoom plus in person. What kind of meditation appeals to you?  

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #116227 by Chris Marti
Hi, Maryann.

I'm a member of Vincent Horn's Buddhist Geeks online network. They offer online classes, gatherings, and meditation sessions weekly, sometimes more often:

https://www.buddhistgeeks.network/feed 

and

https://www.buddhistgeeks.network/share/KIWboajd7pwNOASS?utm_source=manual

There is a membership fee. I pay $5 per month, so it's not onerous - and worth the cost, IMO.
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Chris Marti.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #116229 by Chris Marti
Maryann --

at a recent dinner with type A personality co-workers my contributions to the conversation regarding my self-work and journey of self-discovery were not met with understanding or value. I had no goal or purpose they could relate to as in their jobs. While they were no patronizing, it was simply awkward. 

Yes, awkward this can certainly be. I think of my meditation practice as being sort of like Fight Club, with the same first rule  :D

More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #116230 by SigmaTropic

Chris Marti wrote: Maryann --

at a recent dinner with type A personality co-workers my contributions to the conversation regarding my self-work and journey of self-discovery were not met with understanding or value. I had no goal or purpose they could relate to as in their jobs. While they were no patronizing, it was simply awkward. 

Yes, awkward this can certainly be. I think of my meditation practice as being sort of like Fight Club, with the same first rule  :D

I rolled on the floor laughing at this comment, can relate totally! 
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by SigmaTropic.

More
1 month 1 week ago #116349 by Tom Otvos
Maryann,

Since you just joined, but did not ask to be added to any groups, you won't see much here. I have taken the liberty of adding you to a group that will open up a *lot* of reading for you. I have also moved this thread to a more relevant topic category.

-- tomo

More
1 month 1 week ago #116354 by Maryann
Thank you. I’ve been following Buddhist Geeks, too. I appreciate the nudge and direction. 

More
1 month 1 week ago #116373 by Maryann
I'm relatively new to the meditation world so I don't even know all the types by name.  I've used Headspace quite often, centering prayer, and am trying labyrinth walking this week.  I've mostly done individual/alone work and need to branch out more into a (small) group session.  I thought an online group would be a good middle ground to transition into a local offering. 

More
1 month 1 week ago - 1 month 1 week ago #116377 by Chris Marti
Buddhist Geeks again, FTW.

They are a diverse group that doesn't focus on any one type of practice. If you can afford a session or two with Vincent Horn, the founder, I would do that and use the time to describe what you're interested in. Vince is, IMHO, a straight shooter and won't be predisposed to push you in a direction he prefers. He'll listen.
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Chris Marti.

More
1 month 2 days ago #116444 by Tom Otvos
If apps are your thing, I would strongly recommend the 10% Happier app as a way of getting into meditation as well. There are a wide variety of very capable teachers there, and it will give you a way to establish a practice, test a few things out, and see what resonates with you.

-- tomo