Wash Your Bowls

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #114880 by Tom Otvos
Wash Your Bowls was created by Tom Otvos
A monk asked Jôshû in all earnestness, “I have just entered this monastery. I beg you, Master, please give me instructions.” 

Jôshû asked, “Have you eaten your rice gruel yet?” 

The monk answered, “Yes, I have.” 

Jôshû said, “Then wash your bowls.” The monk attained some realization.

-- tomo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #114881 by Ona Kiser
Replied by Ona Kiser on topic Wash Your Bowls
Kitchens play such a big role in insight?

It reminds me of a story told by an orthodox Jew (that I read in a book on spirituality, surely) who in his youth found the rituals of daily life at home so superficial and boring and empty of profound meaning, and went off to study with masters of Kabbalah, who knew cool secret interesting things. And then after some years of study he finally came to appreciate how profound the simple ceremonies of the family at home were and returned there to treasure them.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #114882 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Wash Your Bowls
Indeed this koan is discussed in the context of "Everyday Awakening" in the course on Waking Up, by Henry Shukman.

-- tomo

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #114884 by Ona Kiser
Nice.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #114891 by Dusko
Replied by Dusko on topic Wash Your Bowls
“Mind your own reactive patterns and cleanse your own karma”

… is what I read in that. 

You did eat that rice gruel already, did you not? Patterns unfold into action of body and speech. Pay more attention to your reactive patterns. 

The result of this eating (Realm) is a dirty bowl, mind clinging to dirt, so learn to cleanse your karma by training the mind in wisdom. 

I might be wrong of course :D 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #114897 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Wash Your Bowls
I feel like this is saying that we simply need to attend to the present needs, as they present themselves. The concept of "just sitting" as applied to everyday life.

But can you "wake up", suddenly, dong this? Can you have a sudden "realization" by simply hearing these words?

-- tomo

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #114898 by Dusko
What means “to awake” ? 

Is it enough to just know This Is It or is there a benefit of seeing how the Dependent Origination unfolds, and if so to which depth is it needed we go “to awake”? 

:D I’m just thinking aloud. No need to answer this :D 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #114899 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic Wash Your Bowls

But can you "wake up", suddenly, dong this? 

I'd say that when you're paying attention and fully in the present moment, you ARE awake.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #114900 by Dusko

Chris Marti wrote:

I'd say that when you're paying attention and fully in the present moment, you ARE awake.

Ya :D unless :D there is that nagging sense that This ain’t enough to call it “awaken”. And we all know that dukkha-ing sense :D 

Btw, would it be bad if awakening was impermanent and it’s more like being lost in a movie and then awakening to the sensation reality of the sofa-body interacting, tv colours flickering, sound hearing, room seeing … then again it gets lost into the movie utterly but again snaps out into the One Field awareness of all the experience and so on and so off :D 

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #114903 by Ona Kiser

Dusko wrote:

Chris Marti wrote:

Ya :D unless :D there is that nagging sense that This ain’t enough to call it “awaken”. And we all know that dukkha-ing sense :D 

Exactly. But having seen that split-second of being fully present one realizes it exists, and even if it is then re-clouded with self-analysis, criticisms, overthinking things, and so on, it is there. There it was. Where can it have gone? What a treasure... even a glimpse awakens the mind to the knowledge that one could relate differently to reality, that there's another way to understand and so on. And that's good!

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #114904 by Shargrol
Replied by Shargrol on topic Wash Your Bowls
"Freedom is not a state; it is a process. It is something you are, not something you have. In freedom, there is a continual releasing of reactive material as it arises in each moment of experience."

warrior's solution

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #114905 by Dusko

Shargrol wrote: "Freedom is not a state; it is a process. It is something you are, not something you have. In freedom, there is a continual releasing of reactive material as it arises in each moment of experience."

warrior's solution

Yeps :D Can't ignore that karma unfolding while conscious (as KF sais "what else is there but karma")
It just keeps popping like a hot pop-corn. Coming to the point of dispassion for objects arising and not taking any of it seriously, or being a self, is a good way to let this show watch itself to pari-nibbana.