WUTYL: The Four Immeasurables

More
1 week 1 day ago #114039 by Tom Otvos
Equanimity. Loving-kindness. Compassion. Joy.

Discuss.

-- tomo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago #114045 by Ona Kiser
Why are they 'immeasurable'?

More
1 week 1 day ago #114047 by Noah
Replied by Noah on topic WUTYL: The Four Immeasurables
Not sure if rhetorical .  In Buddhism they are considered to be actual realms where the beings in them have unlimited positive regard for the world .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

More
1 week 1 day ago #114055 by SigmaTropic
Maybe immeasurable because goodwill leads to karmic trail for more goodwill?

More
1 week 19 hours ago #114057 by microbuddha
They represent a quality of mind that is inherently present  but not necessarily recognized.  They can be cultivated or brought more into being through intention.   The qualities when cultivated help to bring up and bust patterns which keep us from being more present in life.   

Ken makes great use of the word patterns throughout the entire book.  

For those with a a stronger  background in the Pali Cannon, are we talking the skandas?  

I have worked with the immeasurables via these meditations and another ancillary practice on unfettered mind for the last two months.   unfetteredmind.org/four-immeasurables/

Which I have found helpful to experience these qualities in everyday life.  I pick an immeasurable, repeat the short phrase and let it soak in repeatedly throughout my workday in between patients.  My encounters have been more rewarding with them  

This has been very interesting.  The qualities have become easily recognizable and cause a energetic shifting to occur most of the time.  Then a few weeks in spontaneous behavior in accord with the immeasurables started showing.  

There has been lots of purification the last two months ( especially when mind training with tonglen began about a month ago)desire to be of service, desire to connect with others. More connection to others and a waking of an on intention, energetic quality of boddhicitta in the heart.  

It seems like we are deconstructing a different level of the body/mind with the practices vs. vipassana.  Sensate reality vs. mental/emotional reality. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser, Kalle Ylitalo

More
3 days 3 hours ago #114083 by Kalle Ylitalo
I recommend checking out Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche 's Tibetan Sound Healing -practice. Also known as The Five Warrior Syllables. Especially if one has done ground work with emptiness/spaciousness and liveliness of awareness. The practice progresses first by recognizing these aspects, then seeing them as united and finding the four immeasurables as a part of that view. Then comes ripening the quality/qualities being recognized and bringing them into effortless action. This all is done by visualization, concentrating on certain chakras and singing a syllable assosiated with that chakra. I haven't done the practice that extensively but it feels like a very complete practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: microbuddha

More
3 days 2 hours ago #114084 by microbuddha
Thanks, I will check it out.  I listened to some of your music last night!! Very nice bass playing.  

More
2 days 13 hours ago #114087 by Kalle Ylitalo
Thank you. Music is how I pay the bills. And create more bills to pay. :D