WUTYL: Mind Training

More
1 week 1 day ago #114040 by Tom Otvos
So, this is called "Mind Training" but really the focus is tonglen, or "taking and sending". At least, that is what I get out of it now re-reading parts of this chapter, and I know that is not fair. So I'll let others start this discussion (too) and will hop on when I get to what resonates for me. It is in these later parts, though, that KMcL tends to lose me as more and more visualization becomes core to the practice techniques. And yet, there are gems that make me love some of it.

-- tomo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 week 1 day ago - 1 week 1 day ago #114048 by Philip
Replied by Philip on topic WUTYL: Mind Training
I know the  discussion here is of the WUTYL section, but here is Mind Training as I understand it:

Mind Training = Seven Point Mind Training which means working with the 59 Lojong slogans in everyday life.

Specific practices within Lojong are:
  • Tonglen (taking and sending)
  • Shamatha/Vipassana and resting in er, mind-nature I guess is the easiest way to put it.
This is the essence of the practice described in Pema Chodron's Start Where You Are which we discussed recently on Sam's thread:

https://awakenetwork.org/forum/111-personal-practice-diaries-logs-comments-questions/13673-sam-s-practice-log?start=225#114010

The Lojong slogans cover both the practices, with slogans like:
  • Rest in the basis of all experience
  • Train in taking and sending alternately, put them on the breath

and also slogans for practicing in daily life, such as:
  •  When the world is filled with evil, transform all mishaps into the path enlightenment
  •  Work with the greatest defilements first

There are some 59 slogans in all so I've just picked a few out here.

Having said all that, simply practicing Tonglen in a very basic way is a good start, if only because the structure of the Lojong slogans is a bit overwhelming at first.

Again, highly recommended texts are:

Start Where You Are - Pema Chodron

The Great Path of Awakening -  Jamgon Kongrul -  translated by Ken McLeod

The Seven Point Mind Training -  B. Alan Wallace

Training the Mind and Cultivating Loving Kindness - Chogyam Trungpa
Last edit: 1 week 1 day ago by Philip. Reason: pesky typos
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

More
1 week 1 day ago #114051 by microbuddha
Replied by microbuddha on topic WUTYL: Mind Training
Wow, I am in the right place.  Woo meter going off.  Will look at Sam's thread too.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip

More
1 week 1 day ago #114052 by SigmaTropic
Replied by SigmaTropic on topic WUTYL: Mind Training
Can attest to starting simply and just diving in, the basic practice is pretty simple, and I'm taking my time to familiarize myself with the slogans and everything else (reading/study time is limited lately). Even after a week or so I am noticing the beneficial effects of the practice, planning to write more once I get the hang of it. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Philip