Book Club Organizing Thread

More
1 month 5 days ago #118729 by Chris Marti
So, who's interested in doing this, and how can we organize it effectively?

- How do we select the monthly book?
   - How do we manage the book discussions?
   - Are there specific book topics we want to use or prevent?

I'm in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118730 by Kacchapa
I'd somewhat detachedly vote for Blindsight or Conscious to start with, since I just downloaded Bllndsight and Conscious sounds interest, but it's also fine with me if there's more interest in moving on. I might not be able to keep up with the faster readers.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118731 by Papa-Dusko
I’m considering to buy two books about Fender history but somehow doubt anybody here is interested in reading about it :D 

Until my interest in the Dhamma rekindles again im
out, but will follow your discussions. 

More
1 month 5 days ago #118734 by microbuddha
Frick,I lost my whole long post.

www.dharmachanics.com/

These guys know how to do a book club/review.   Join their facebook page and you can see everything they are into.  They do cheap retreats with Michael Taft, Leah Brasington, have podcasters on to discuss episodes.   Almost all Dharma.

Mark, they are discussing a Stephen Snyder book now.  

The leader, Ron Serrano, retired early from business, and is just doing/practicing, dharma full time.  Pragmatic bent, seems like a nice group that are older, kind of like Awakenetwork. 

If I were retired, I would do some of their stuff. 

More
1 month 5 days ago #118735 by Chris Marti
Micro, does that mean we should do that as opposed to our own? I’m confused.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118738 by Kacchapa

microbuddha wrote:
Mark, they are discussing a Stephen Snyder book now.  . 

Thanks for the tip!

More
1 month 5 days ago #118739 by microbuddha
Look at what they do and it will give you ideas.   Sorry, that part got left out.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118740 by microbuddha
Members suggest books then they vote on it. 

More
1 month 5 days ago #118743 by Chris Marti
This isn’t gonna be a ME thing. It’s gonna be an US thing. It’ll be much better that way.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118744 by Kacchapa
For starters I'd suggest Blindsight just because some have already started it.    

(Or, 2nd suggestion, Demystifying Awakening: A Buddhist Path of Realization, Embodiment, and Freedom by Stephen Snyder- but picking a Buddhist book from the 84,000 available is very individual thing.)

More
1 month 5 days ago #118746 by microbuddha
1 vote Blindsight since I am already half-way through!  

More
1 month 5 days ago - 1 month 5 days ago #118747 by Chris Marti
I agree that Blindsight is a good first book, too, but then I've read it already  :D

So far I think our list of participants is:

Microbuddha
Kacchapa
Philip Stone
Chris Marti

I'm probably missing someone:

Shargrol?
Kate?
Papa Che?
Ona?
Tom Otvos?
Noah?
Last edit: 1 month 5 days ago by Chris Marti.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118748 by Kacchapa
I got the Audible version yesterday and can't remember the last time I "read" fiction. I like it when the authors narrate non-fiction, This book has a good actor narrator, the credits also mention a director. I'm thinking when Reali-ty is a little hard to drink, I can listen to some of this instead of some newsy youtube content. I'm into Chapter 2. Chapter 1 setup the characters and premises fairly engagingly. I think it's going to be a fun listen but not planning to binge listen. I prefer the after residue from reading about things like Brahmaviharas and awakening than characters with interesting varieties of delusory states, as well as vampires and AI.

But I expect, in moderation, it gets even better from here.

More
1 month 4 days ago #118765 by Philip Stone
I think it's bloody good. Oops. That's probably my whole contribution. Soz.

More
1 month 4 days ago #118772 by Kate Gowen
I will sit Blindsight out, but look forward to future choices.

The book club idea generally is a good one.

More
1 month 4 days ago #118775 by Ona Kiser
I'll sit out book club for now, but it sounds like a good idea!

More
1 month 4 days ago - 1 month 4 days ago #118782 by Papa-Dusko
I just ordered two books! 
One is about the history of Fender guitars and the other is more specific about the history of their very first electric guitar, the Telecaster :D 

Anyone is welcome to join me but of course I will understand if you don’t. 

The books mentioned by you folks above are of no interest to me at this time. Maybe later. 

Edit to add; but yes me too thinks this book club is a good idea. I will follow you anyway. 
Last edit: 1 month 4 days ago by Papa-Dusko.

More
1 month 3 days ago #118785 by Kacchapa
About 1/3 of the way into Blindsight, Ch 5.  It's engaging and kind of fun. I definitely want to find out what happens next. I think most of the characters represent or personify some of the themes he wants to explore. Too tired to think/talk more about it now. Time for bed.   

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #118852 by Tom Otvos
I'll watch from a distance. I can't see where I would find time to read, and complete, actual books. Audible is an option, but with my favourite podcasts lasting from 1-7 hours each per week, I am running out of listening time.

-- tomo

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #118853 by microbuddha
Tom, what are your favorite podcasts?  Always looking for something interesting...

More
3 weeks 4 days ago #118854 by Tom Otvos
Lex Fridman, for very deep discussions on just about everything
All In Podcast, for tech/business/politics
Smartless, for comic relief

For dharma, I occasionally listen to 10% Happier, and also Making Sense. But, like my practice, there are only so many hours and those are taking a back seat to being informed. There is some astronomy stuff I listen to as well because that is my primary non-work, non-kid, non-householder focus.

If I had more time, I would also listen to The Moth more regularly.

-- tomo

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #118873 by Kacchapa
I had a lot of driving to do last Saturday and ended up finishing the Audible book Conscious by A Harris. I thought it was just ramping up to go and then it was done. Surprisingly brief but then I appreciated that she focused on just a few points where she argues that unexamined prejudices are holding back scientific progress with understanding consciousness. 

I realized after listening to 2 books in a row, that I'm not attracted to organizing my thoughts around what I've been exposed to and formulating tentative conclusions. I'm drawn to relate to it more as a Dharma talk on a koan, waiting to see what heart-felt question might get sparked. An entire book is kind of overwhelming for that, so Conscious was nicely brief and my feeling was it was offered in a questioning spirit.

The koan sparks for me came with her description of the aggregate, distributed and conditional nature of human conscious experience. And how the common sense that consciousness is singular around a self is a misunderstanding. Also the suggestion that the distribution and changing aggregation isn't necessarily contained by the limits of our body.  

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #118887 by microbuddha
thank you!  will check them out.