Kumare: The True Story of a False Prophet

More
11 years 3 months ago - 11 years 3 months ago #8197 by Jackson
Have anyone else seen this documentary?

Kumare: The True Story of a False Prophet

Kenneth Folk posted something about it on his Facebook timeline, which reminded me to watch it. I first heard about it from one of Vince Horn's tweets. (Wow, lots of social media contact points going on here.)

I enjoyed the film quite a bit. The ethics of this experiment are questionable, but that's part of what makes it so interesting. I replied to Kenneth's post with the following:

Thanks for the reminder, Kenneth. I watched it this morning. I was expecting humor (and I wasn't disappointed in that regard), but I didn't expect to be so touched. It's interesting that he gathered a small following of people while being in many ways an anti-cult leader; that is, he never claimed to be any better than his students. It's interesting how even when a teacher says, "I'm normal, just like you," some followers will remain insistent that the teacher is special in some way they themselves are not.

I was able to rent the video as a streaming rental from Amazon.com for $3.99, and I thought it was worth it. I'm interested to know if anyone else has seen it, and also to know what your reactions were, good or bad or both.
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by Jackson.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 3 months ago #8200 by Ona Kiser
I intend to watch it at some point. Sounds interesting. I also need to watch Life of Brian.

More
11 years 2 months ago - 11 years 2 months ago #8427 by Ona Kiser
I'm watching this right now. I might not finish it tonight, as it's getting very late and I'm falling asleep, but I'm loving this film. It's "funny" only in a sweet, touching way. Touching is perhaps the best word to describe it. The filmmaker's narrative and reflection about what was going on in himself and in the relationship with his students was insightful and compassionate. He's not an asshole in any sense. I'm very curious about the ending, where he reveals his "real identity" (what that means clearly becomes quite muddled). The difficulties of the needy students are also very touching. It points to how much people simply need caring attention, compassion and kindness, and yet how often it's easier to find or accept that attention when it comes from a person that is coded as "special" (the guru, the priest, etc.). Two thumbs up.

ETA: Stayed up: interesting how hard a time he had revealing himself (though understandable) and a bit surprising how few of his students were offended. It reminded me of my own relationships with many teachers over the years, and how there always comes a point where ones initial over-adulation of the teacher runs into their human nature (ie you become disappointed in them) and you have to rework your relationship. Can be a major or minor thing, depending on your fantasy expectations and the nature of the teacher's human nature. :D
Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by Ona Kiser.

More
11 years 2 months ago #8428 by Kate Gowen
I've put it in my Netflix queue; watching the trailer did not dispel my misgiving that it has too much in common with "Borat"-- exploiting the gullible is not something I find funny.

The fact that there are those so desperate to encounter a 'holy person' that they refuse every disclaimer made by such a person-- is a strange and rather sad conundrum. Charles Tart had a very funny 'bit' on his blog about how every time he tried to pop the illusion for some of his students, they'd do this wise wink and nod thing about how he was so modest on top of enlightened, and refuse to believe a word he said. But he never set up the illusion in the first place, to 'teach them a lesson.' That seems fraught with hubris.

Still and all, I could be wrong; so I'll watch it when it comes around.

More
11 years 2 months ago #8429 by Ona Kiser
I personally didn't think it was at all mocking of anyone. It's true that it shows both the need the students have to believe in someone, and also the recognition Vikram realizes of his own love of the role - but I never felt that that was shown in a mocking way by any means. I suppose some of that perception can come from the viewer's own perspective. At a media conference years ago a guy from a cable channel said in his presentation that many of the "reality shows" (which were just becoming popular then) appeal to two audiences: those who like to laugh mockingly at the struggles and ineptitude of the participants, with whom they do not feel kinship; and those who feel that the struggles of the participants are something they can identify with in their own lives and problems.