Resurrection Challenge

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #115217 by Tom Otvos
A recent comment on a resurrected thread from 7 years ago made me think to issue this challenge. Go back into the history on AN (which includes KFD, in case you didn't know) and resurrect a thread you think is interesting, or relevant to you, or just downright brilliant. Don't just "ping" the thread, though but instead try and restart that conversation.

-- tomo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
2 weeks 5 days ago #115218 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic Resurrection Challenge

Go back into the history on AN (which includes KFD, in case you didn't know)

Our history also includes Dharma Forum Refugee Camp (DFRG), which is where the "hunting down the sense of self" topic was resurrected.

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #115257 by Ona Kiser
Replied by Ona Kiser on topic Resurrection Challenge
Bump, because this is a fun challenge and it would be neat to see what other people dig up!

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #115258 by Dusko
Replied by Dusko on topic Resurrection Challenge
me went off topic a bit sorry :D 

Hm ... I don't mind this game but it does feel bitter a bit in my mouth. It reminds me of how complicated it is to browse around this WHOLE forum, or other forums and sub-sub-sub forums etc ... I feel overwhelmed to go around and get lost in the labyrinths of your past, dear folks of the original AN :D No disrespect here but I do think it would be of more benefit to place old stuff in the graveyard (Archives) and have "Guest Forums" at the end of the Index page, and then the main Index part for AN Forum presented in a more clear and non-confusing way pointing towards specific practices. 

At the end THIS IS about letting the practice(s) uncover it. 

If this post be out of place do remove it, no issues with that. Just felt to share. 

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #115259 by Ona Kiser
Replied by Ona Kiser on topic Resurrection Challenge
You are hereby excused from playing the game. ;P

More
2 weeks 3 days ago #115260 by Dusko
Roger, roger! 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115265 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Resurrection Challenge
it's a fair point though: navigation is not good

Searching has no way to return compact thread or topic results, so I'm still sifting a haystack (same on DO). This would be useful for "where should I post this?" or "where can I read the most content about X?"

I had a practice log here, but I sure can't find it.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115269 by Dusko
Thanks Mike for sharing. I agree. Navigation is unclear and even what this forum is about is kind of unclear to me as a new member, if I look at the forum index and follow main categories. 

I wish more people share their experience. This way we might actually make some changes. 

But yes I love the last old thread on Awareness. Good game :D 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #115270 by Philip Stone
Replied by Philip Stone on topic Resurrection Challenge

Mike wrote: it's a fair point though: navigation is not good
I had a practice log here, but I sure can't find it.

Wasn't this was it:  awakenetwork.org/forum/111-personal-prac...mike-s-scandal-sheet
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Philip Stone.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115277 by Chris Marti
This place (AwakeNetwork) is a wonderful, complicated conglomeration of what were once multiple, independent message boards with identities that were different, time-dependent, and worthwhile (to me, anyway). I value them all and enjoy seeing them preserved here that way.

Have those of you who are struggling with the navigation here tried the search function? Does it help? It helps me when I'm looking for something buried deep. 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115278 by Dusko
Philip I tried to click on that link and I am logged in, and it sais "401 Unauthorized". I cant even open that practice log :( 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #115279 by Chris Marti

Hm ... I don't mind this game but it does feel bitter a bit in my mouth. It reminds me of how complicated it is to browse around this WHOLE forum, or other forums and sub-sub-sub forums etc ... I feel overwhelmed to go around and get lost in the labyrinths of your past, dear folks of the original AN 

No disrespect here but I do think it would be of more benefit to place old stuff in the graveyard (Archives) and have "Guest Forums" at the end of the Index page, and then the main Index part for AN Forum presented in a more clear and non-confusing way pointing towards specific practices. 

Dusko, dude, you need to learn to let go. This "letting go" is a practice that can help you throughout your life. 

Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by Chris Marti.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115280 by Dusko
Chis :D I know you are invested in this place but me and some others especially new members are not. Just a fact. We can keep it the way it is or we can keep all still but create it in a way thats more clear and not hidden and covered up in many sub forums and sub-sub forums etc ... Im not saying delete the old stuff. Its not just about searching but also how the main Index offers itself. It offers an unclear story to me. What is this forum about? Is this forum, 3 forums and which one do I belong to, or is it something else ... dunno ... Im off to DhO or Reddit instead :D If you know what I mean? These are more straight forward, easy to dig in.

I don't want to see this place as a museum. DhO is also old but always feels fresh to me. This place however has a bit of that old museum smell :D Nothing bad with it but we should not fear opening the windows just because some strong draft might knock over some old threads :D 

However if Im the only one thinking this way you shall feel free to tell me gently to f off :D :D :D I will bow.

I hope you can sense me smiling while writing this and even finding my attitude a bit too direct. I wish I could be less raw with my wording but Im hopeless :D (hence so bad at writing lyrics)

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115281 by Dusko

Chris Marti wrote:

Hm ... I don't mind this game but it does feel bitter a bit in my mouth. It reminds me of how complicated it is to browse around this WHOLE forum, or other forums and sub-sub-sub forums etc ... I feel overwhelmed to go around and get lost in the labyrinths of your past, dear folks of the original AN 

No disrespect here but I do think it would be of more benefit to place old stuff in the graveyard (Archives) and have "Guest Forums" at the end of the Index page, and then the main Index part for AN Forum presented in a more clear and non-confusing way pointing towards specific practices. 

Dusko, dude, you need to learn to let go. This "letting go" is a practice that can help you throughout your life. 

:D Ok will do. Done as Done can be :D Zip! :D 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115282 by Tom Otvos
Replied by Tom Otvos on topic Resurrection Challenge
While I will be the first to acknowledge that the categorization is far from "flat", it is also not quite as complex as some here suggest. The top level is very, very clear, and each category has a description that attempts to explain what it is for. While some may quibble about the wording of those descriptions, it is truly that hard to decipher? I may combine some of the lower categories to reduce the noise, especially on infrequently-used ones, but I struggle to see the problem for new users.

I agree that the search functionality is far from perfect. There should be a way to list topics, not just posts, and the search should be able to be limited to specific categories. The UI suggests there should be a dropdown, but in Safari at least, all I can do is scroll through the categories. That said, I can easily get to "Personal Practice", search for the user "mike" over all time, and immediately get to "Mike's Scandal Sheet".

-- tomo

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #115283 by Chris Marti

Chis 

I know you are invested in this place but me and some others especially new members are not. Just a fact. We can keep it the way it is or we can keep all still but create it in a way thats more clear and not hidden and covered up in many sub forums and sub-sub forums etc ... Im not saying delete the old stuff. Its not just about searching but also how the main Index offers itself. It offers an unclear story to me. What is this forum about? Is this forum, 3 forums and which one do I belong to, or is it something else ... dunno ... Im off to DhO or Reddit instead   If you know what I mean? These are more straight forward, easy to dig in.

Maybe you could think of it this way, you're fairly new here - try to accommodate the old-timers. We definitely do have a unique place at AN, one with its own culture and deep history. Actually, multiple deep histories. Stop acting like the proverbial European explorer coming to the New World and re-making it in your image. You came here voicing your desires and wanting to re-design the place - and you were accommodated, at least in some respects (the "Like" button for example). So... folks here are working with you. We can certainly talk about re-organizing AN but I suggest a more.... um... patient approach. Please don't be a bull in a china shop.

I suggest we insert more language in the Index to describe each individual pre-existing forum, at least as a start. What was it? When was it? Why was it? These "old" sub-forums are already archives, as I see them.

I think we should move this discussion to another topic, too. I may do that later today.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #115284 by Chris Marti
FYI - and me being pathetically sentimental: The oldest topics here are from the original KFD. It was created 12 years and 5 months ago. Kenneth Folk asked me to help him do it. That was in August 2009, on the old WetPaint free message boards. 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115285 by Dusko
Yes European explorer in a china shop :D my apologies. I like that description :D 

No worries I will back off. I get your point. 

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115286 by Philip Stone
Replied by Philip Stone on topic Resurrection Challenge

Dusko wrote: Philip I tried to click on that link and I am logged in, and it sais "401 Unauthorized". I cant even open that practice log :( 

Strange. Can you search for it as Tom suggested and see if you can pick it up that way?

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #115287 by Chris Marti
Tom's method worked for me:  

https://www.awakenetwork.org/forum/111-personal-practice-diaries-logs-comments-questions/13600-mike-s-scandal-sheet?start=0

<I suspect that the originally posted link (in this topic) was not a complete link, which would explain why it won't open.>

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115288 by Tom Otvos

Philip Stone wrote:

Dusko wrote: Philip I tried to click on that link and I am logged in, and it sais "401 Unauthorized". I cant even open that practice log :( 

Strange. Can you search for it as Tom suggested and see if you can pick it up that way?

I was able to click on your link, Philip. Can you *still* not use that link, Dusko? Is it possible your session was timed out?

-- tomo

More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #115289 by Chris Marti
Tom, I, too, get the same error when I click on the originally posted link.

More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115290 by Tom Otvos
For those that get the error, what is the *exact* URL that is in your browser?

-- tomo

More
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #115292 by Chris Marti