Mind Blown iPhone App

• orasis
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93907 by orasis
Mind Blown iPhone App was created by orasis
Hi guys,

Kenneth and I have been collaborating on an iPhone app that is now on the App Store at:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" itunes.apple.com/us/app/mind-blown/id570108550?ls=1&mt=8 "> itunes.apple.com/us/app/mind-bl ... ?ls=1&mt=8

Its still in its very infancy, but I want to evolve this into the ultimate pragmatic dharma app focusing on states, stages, wild consciousness experiences with the right balance of vulnerability and bragging that I respect this community for.

I would really appreciate BRUTALLY HONEST feedback about how the app may or may not contribute to your practice and what you'd like to see in an app like this.

(I really really need your guys' help to make this awesome, so please check it out and share your feedback)

Thanks!

-Justin
The topic has been locked.
  • Russell
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93908 by Russell
Replied by Russell on topic Re: Mind Blown iPhone App
Looks cool Justin, amazing how far it's come from when I tried the 1st betas. Keep up the good work, voice recognition would be killer, but I know that's a challenge.
  • orasis
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93909 by orasis
Replied by orasis on topic Re: Mind Blown iPhone App
It looks crazy different from the 1st betas doesn't it? I expect it to be just as different again a year from now.

I tried doing some voice recognition stuff about a month ago, but the libraries just aren't good enough yet. We will eventually have it in there, but we'll have to wait until Apple gives developer's access to Siri.
  • PabloP
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93910 by PabloP
Replied by PabloP on topic Re: Mind Blown iPhone App
Hey, the app doesn't accept my gmail or KFD account. And I don't have nor want a Facebook account. Is there a problem or is that I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks!
  • orasis
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93911 by orasis
Hey Pablo, do you mean that you can't enter a @gmail.com e-mail address when signing up? What kind of error does it give? Do you have some non-American-English characters in your e-mail address or password?
  • PabloP
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93912 by PabloP
Justin, I just tried again and I could sign in without problems. My fault! Thanks
  • PabloP
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93913 by PabloP
Another cool feature to add would be, to count the seconds per note ratio. Though at times I'm noting more than one per second, and thought the average was around one every 1.5 seconds... it happens to be 3.5 !!!

Perhaps this feature would be much easier to add than the others.
  • limbic
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93914 by limbic
Replied by limbic on topic Re: Mind Blown iPhone App
A random sitting timer would be neat, I remember a year ago I used one on my computer a lot.

It set a minimum and a maximum time and rung on a random point in between
  • orasis
  • Topic Author
11 years 3 weeks ago #93915 by orasis
I'm actually looking at re-doing the timer and the noting counter to integrate them into one single interface. If you just hit start, it will randomly vibrate the phone to remind you to be present and you'll tap the screen or gently shake the phone to let it know that you're still going, or you can just start tapping the screen and it will know that you're noting. Either way it will keep track of time and notes tapped out.
  • amorfati
  • Topic Author
11 years 1 week ago #93916 by amorfati
Replied by amorfati on topic Re: Mind Blown iPhone App
Great work, I really love the app!
A bit of &quot;brutally honest&quot; feedback:

- My Log: today´s sit does show the experiences (e.g. dullness, equanimity...) but not the number of notes
- News feed: Shows (from top to bottom) 757 notes, 1289 notes and the 100 notes. This is not true!
I guess I just did the 757 notes today (until writing this at least). I guess the 1289 notes are from yesterday. The 100 notes: no clue...?

WH´hat might be the cause is that I started noting, then switched to set the timer, maybe even went back to yesterday´s log (not sure).

Anyhow, it´s a cool aid! Another great app btw. is called euanimity and it costs 4-5 $
It´s got a great interface and a gread logging funtion and a nice timer. Check it out!
  • AndyW
  • Topic Author
10 years 11 months ago #93917 by AndyW
Replied by AndyW on topic Re: Mind Blown iPhone App
I have an Android phone, so I can't test the App, but one feature request that I would like to see is something which keeps you on track with daily meditation. The app I use - Meditation Helper - has a brutally unforgiving widget that sits on the Android home screen. I set my daily target time, and the widget displays how much of today's sit I have done, how many days in a row I have sat to the target before today, and my longest unbroken chain. If you fail to meet the target time, then the current days in a row count reverts to zero. Brutal!

This is a great motivator and got me through 365 days of sitting two hours a day. But, it has no way of accounting for days when you have more time and less time. At the moment, there are days when I can't sit two hours. But there might be days when I can sit more. So another option would be a widget that tells you what percentage of a weekly target time you are hitting. So let's say I want to sit 14 hrs a week. I could do that at the weekend all at once, or at 2 hrs a day, and get 100% either way. Perhaps the app could have a different indicator to encourage me to spread the hours across the week. Colour coding would work well here: the widget or indicator would go green if I was getting over 95%, yellow if above 70% and orange if above 50% and red if below that.

Also, having a running count of how many hours have been logged would be good. Another feature that my app doesn't have, but would be helpful is a way of adding the hours logged on retreat to the app (since you're not likely to be using your phone while at the centre/monastery etc).

Finally, integration with the KFD forums and the practice logs - that'd bring the whole thing full circle.