How does the 3 speed transmission relate to insight stages?

• EQY
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #91643 by EQY
How does the 3 speed transmission relate to insight stages? Does stage 1 of insight occur after you've stabilized the 3rd gear? How does it fit together? Thanks
The topic has been locked.
  • mumuwu
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #91644 by mumuwu
First gear will take you through all of the insight stages. It can also be used to develop jhanas via shamatha in order to reach higher jhanas for third path. Generally, the first 2 paths are attained via 1st gear practices alone.

2nd gear is often used post 2nd path in order to flush out the higher jhanas (using the riding the jhanic arc via the witness technique). This will help in attaining 3rd path.

3rd gear can be used at any stage, and I think it's a big part of attaining 4th path (as it's all about "realizing that the happiness you seek is your own true nature and it is only your attempt to become or to create or to investigate that distracts you from seeing this.")

Hope this helps.
  • EQY
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #91645 by EQY
Right, thanks for that. Why do some teachers say to start with the "I am" investigation (Kenneth's 2nd gear)? Just a different approach?
  • roseparade
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #91646 by roseparade
Hi EQY,

Nisargadatta Maharaj describes the "I am" as "the first ignorance", as well as "the last outpost of the illusion". So it makes sense to go straight to practicing 2nd gear.

4th path does not dissolve this sense of "I am", the root of suffering--it's not full awakening as I would define it.
  • mumuwu
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #91647 by mumuwu
Are you aware that Kenneth Folk has detailed stages beyond 4th path and strategies around working toward those stages?

The three gears system has one aiming for 2nd gear if possible and if not possible to down-shift to 1st gear (noting, concentration exercises etc.) if one cannot maintain 2nd gear.
  • roseparade
  • Topic Author
8 years 8 months ago #91648 by roseparade
mumuwu,

EQY asked why some teachers recommend self-inquiry/2nd gear right from the start. I am aware of Kenneth's map and strategies. A 1st gearish approach (without the Burmese maps) was very helpful for me in the beginning.