If "don't know mind,"exists, how come everyone is so sure of themselves?

More
4 months 2 days ago #113918 by Ona Kiser
Just that. I keep wondering. Lots of people seem terribly sure of themselves. Sometimes I'm quite sure of myself, sometimes not. But there seems to be a generally accepted idea that being sure of oneself is a very good thing, even if one is just making up nonsense. And there also seems to be a natural tendency to be attracted to people who seem very confident about their ideas, even if their ideas are nonsense. 

And even people who talk about "don't know mind" or "not knowing" or similar concepts rarely say they don't know something. I'd be so awed to hear someone say "I have no idea" now and then! That's kind of cool! Imagine paying to go to a fancy teacher's retreat and he just sits there shrugging his shoulders!

Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 months 2 days ago #113919 by Chris Marti
I don't know what's going on with that.

More
4 months 2 days ago #113920 by Ona Kiser

Chris Marti wrote: I don't know what's going on with that.

You were on my short list of people likely to respond "I have no idea" or similar. lol.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

More
4 months 1 day ago #113924 by Shargrol
A few ideas...

Yeah Ona, there is a tendency to want to be around people "who know" -- it's probably a child-relating-to-parent instinct. People would rather be with a proxy adult who knows/thinks for them, it's easy and comforting.

For the person that knows... usually it's over-compensating for a lack of knowing. "Here, let me say the one thing I know about the topic so that I cover up the 999 things I don't know. (And please, please, please don't ask a follow-up question!)"

For the really extreme/subtle instinct: if you can't be nothing you believe you need to be something, and the least you can be is "the one who knows."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris Marti

More
4 months 1 day ago - 4 months 1 day ago #113925 by Chris Marti
I think this is actually pretty simple - it's security, comfort, and the like. Knowing makes us feel safe. Of course, it's mostly only thinking we know, but that's enough for the mind's desires. In the end, there is so little that is really and truly known. For me that's the whole point of keeping "Don't Know" in my heart and mind as much as I can.
Last edit: 4 months 1 day ago by Chris Marti.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shargrol, Kacchapa

More
4 months 1 day ago #113926 by Chris Marti

You were on my short list of people likely to respond "I have no idea" or similar. lol.

Haha! I'm nothing if not predictable. Not knowable, of course, but predictable  :-)

More
4 months 1 day ago - 4 months 1 day ago #113927 by Kacchapa
Remembering my sitting this morning, I was struck that seeing without knowing is ... really important.  

Frank Yang was saying that if you're still in separation it's a struggle to describe hints of non-dual, and once there's no separation it's effortless. My hunch is Frank can speak from that place. I don't know if that means he knows what he's talking about.

For me right now, not-knowing is ...  Ended up selfishly deleting what I wrote for fear of calcifying it. Sorry. 
Last edit: 4 months 1 day ago by Kacchapa. Reason: Trying to elaborate
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ona Kiser

More
4 months 21 hours ago #113933 by Tom Otvos
This is a tough one for me. First, I get paid to know stuff. I help make decisions, and set directions, based on what I know. But I also notice when I speak "with authority", and sometimes there is discomfort there. Not from thinking that I am covering up not knowing (because I am acutely aware of how much I do not know), but from the perspective that knowing is not some privileged place, and that I should be helping others "know" something that I know, without taking that tone.

And it is tough because I should be more self aware, more mindful, to catch those times more often. And it reminds me how little I practice lately, to build that muscle.

-- tomo
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa