Is Tonglen Truly Awesome? Article from Imperfect Buddha Podcast

More
4 days 22 hours ago #114069 by microbuddha
[font=Karla, sans-serif] imperfectbuddha.com/2017/07/25/is-tonglen-truly-awesome/ [/font]

[font=Karla, sans-serif]In approaching such practices, there seem to be three main choices on how to view such processes; magical, agnostic, rational.
[/font]
This was a good introductory article for me to develop a framework for starting Tonglen.  

The first few sessions had a really positive feel to them and I thought " wow, this is a great practice, so easy " Pink fluffy unicorns, dancing on rainbows!  Breath in others pain, blow out all my most treasured, good things... yeah, just give it away.  wait, what?  
Then it started to kick my ass with purifications and I realized started to see myself " in relief  " to a ground of being.  
This is where looking at the process or through it with emptiness allows one to not necessarily suffer as much as the meat grinding qualities of the process run in the background.  Freaking suffering/dukkha is everywhere, I can't take it all in.  But I can take it in if I am not me, if it just moves through "me".  Neat stuff. 

Relief - Wikipediahttps://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Relief Relief is a sculptural technique where the sculpted elements remain attached to a solid background of the same material. The term relief is from the Latin verb relevo, to raise. To create a sculpture in relief is to give the impression that the sculpted material has been raised above the background plane.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 days 13 hours ago #114071 by Kalle Ylitalo
Didn't have the necessary minutes to read the whole article, but wanted to share my experiences on tonglen. There's an element of letting go of very subtle attachment to one's positive qualities and letting go of very subtle resistance towards negative energies/experiences/feelings. Tonglen makes it more possible to make one's compassionate attention and all the positive qualities be freely distributed without any requirements from who or what is receiving it. It's a complete release of ownership. It also makes accepting and being open in difficult situations more possible in a profound way. It blurs the boundaries of who or what is experiencing a situation. If someone around me is angry, who is experiencing the anger? Where is it happening? In my experience tonglen practice can lead to a direct and profound non-partialized, centerless view in situations where there are intense emotional (or other) energies happening.

I remember that Ken McLeod had some wonderful stuff on tonglen, but couldn't find the direct link. Perhaps in his Guru, Deity, Protector -retreat recordings?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kacchapa

More
4 days 3 hours ago #114072 by microbuddha
Thank you so much for this reply,  Kalle.   I have been enjoying reading about your experiences re: these types of practices.  It helps me to gather different perspectives about things that I try out.  Some things hit the mark. I am sinking my teeth into WUTYL ( Immeasurable practice, Tonglen, and 4 turnings of mind) Plan to keep this going for awhile. 
Heartfelt thanks.  Kids are great little teachers.  My older kids are getting ready to go off to college and it has been wonderful to see their development.  

In my experience tonglen practice can lead to a direct and profound non-partialized, centerless view in situations where there are intense emotional (or other) energies happening.

I feel this too.  I am able to stay more relaxed and open instead of shut down, or  be indifferent, in really stressful situations. Not always!  But the capacity is increasing. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kalle Ylitalo

More
3 days 3 hours ago #114082 by Kalle Ylitalo
So nice to hear that you've read my journaling. I agree, kids are really profound teachers. You get into unbelievible situations that you just have to handle somehow, you can't walk away as is possible with adults. Talk about focusing on extreme life situations, as is suggested in some dzogchen texts.

Interesting to hear how your experience deepens with this kind of focus in practice. Inspiring!