Alchemy. Tantra. Transmutation. Metamorphosis

More
1 month 6 days ago #118709 by Noah
I read a bunch of wisdom eccentrics & goodbye forever due to this Thread. Awesome stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 month 5 days ago #118733 by Kate Gowen

More
3 weeks 2 days ago #118880 by Kate Gowen
I can’t remember the thread where the subject of humor came up, but reading Shargrol’s remarks about self-liberation reminded me of one of Ngak’chang Rinpoche’s teaching jokes used to convey this concept.

it’s a story about an unusual Brooklyn therapist, whose clients would come to him and recount their convoluted problems. When the accounts were finished, he would fix them with an intense stare and say, “STAWP IT!”
Generally, the client would then go into a sputtering, “How? But,but,but… I can’t just stop!”

The therapist would sternly reply, “STAWP IT!”
Third round did the trick, as I recall.

Laughing makes us remember the teaching— I heard this story once, two decades ago.

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #118882 by Ona Kiser
The story about "Stop It" jiggled a memory of a clip I saw on Youtube once...from an old television comedy show: 

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #118883 by Ona Kiser
Which I find rather unfunny, at the moment. But much humor is mostly funny in the context of being cringey. 

Our own death-by-laughing moments this week involved two memes. The first being a very bad attempt to play the Titanic theme on a recorder, used as a soundtrack to various things slowly sinking due to poor judgement (ie an overloaded raft or boat):

This happened after I played him a recorder part I'd written to play in choir. I love the free association. <rolleyes>

And the other meme that cracked us up I've forgotten. Most of our humor these days tends to be the sort that would appeal to 8 year old boys. Husband especially likes ones in which people accidentally say rude or blasphemous things while in churches. <rolleyes>

More
3 weeks 1 day ago #118886 by Kate Gowen
Humor is one of those things that requires the right time, place, audience, and presenter.

Rinpoche has said that Sutrayana tilts the chessboard, Vajrayana tilts it sharply, and Dzogchen tilts it vertical.

It takes peculiar circumstances to be willing to hear that one could just STAWP playing out one’s neuroses.
Being offended or angry would be more usual than seeing an open prison door and making a break for it.

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #118947 by Kacchapa

Kate Gowen wrote: Humor is one of those things that requires the right time, place, audience, and presenter.

Rinpoche has said that Sutrayana tilts the chessboard, Vajrayana tilts it sharply, and Dzogchen tilts it vertical.

It takes peculiar circumstances to be willing to hear that one could just STAWP playing out one’s neuroses.
Being offended or angry would be more usual than seeing an open prison door and making a break for it.

The moment was right for me to read this post!  "just STAWP".

Thank you.  

More
2 weeks 1 day ago #118948 by Kate Gowen
All  of these auspicious co-incidences remind me how lucky it is to have this human life.

Thank YOU, Mark.
May all be well, and all manner of things be well.