Physiology of craving

More
5 days 2 hours ago #119024 by Kate Gowen
I am always interested in “coming at” basic Buddhist concepts from a different point of view, so I found this presentation interesting— especially the interplay between depression and addiction.

https://youtu.be/A3svaOilIis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
4 days 5 hours ago #119039 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic Physiology of craving
That's similar to what addicts learn in rehabilitation programs. 

More
4 days 3 hours ago #119041 by Kate Gowen
Replied by Kate Gowen on topic Physiology of craving
That doesn’t surprise me.

It doesn’t seem to be usual to apply the same knowledge to depression, however, or to calibrate the teeter-totter between serotonin and dopamine and address cortisol/the inflammatory response.

And stress-cortisol-inflammation seems to be the true plague of our times.

I have been deep in the weeds of defining, in as fine detail as possible, what we mean by “aging” and how much functional decline is actually necessary or inevitable. A whole lot seems to come down to our ignorance of nutritional and social needs, and over-reliance on an inherited set of ideas about the mind as brain, generating thoughts, and the body as dumb machine carrying out tasks. A machine that just wears out and breaks down.

Whereas, all the stuff I’m finding now suggests that what we “ARE” is a symphony being improvised as we go, and better understanding of music theory, orchestration, and the characteristics of the instruments would really give the music wings.

More
3 days 9 hours ago #119042 by Ona Kiser
Replied by Ona Kiser on topic Physiology of craving
That's interesting, Kate. Perhaps because of my own experiences here in Brazil, I tend to be intrigued by the social aspects of stress. How around eating, for example, there is such a rich social life. How things like homemade food made socially and eaten socially are normal and considered good. Two hour lunches are normal and good. Eating in your car or at your desk are not done. A big fuss is made over any holiday, birthday, etc. That, and my experience feeling excluded/included, made me think about how fundamental it is to feel that one has a place in a community, and how different it is to feel at home in a group (family, community).

I tried to write a bit more about that idea but I can't seem to get a good explanation out, so I'll leave it at that. Perhaps it would work to say that a lot of our cravings for things like food or sensory stimulation are responses to existential anxiety, and if one is in a chaotic family/community context, where there's no social peace or purposefulness it increases even more because the existential anxiety is supplemented by social anxiety. 

More
3 days 4 hours ago - 3 days 4 hours ago #119046 by Chris Marti
Replied by Chris Marti on topic Physiology of craving
Ona, you’re describing the US in your last sentence. We’re driving ourselves to craziness, anxiety, depression, and addiction.
Last edit: 3 days 4 hours ago by Chris Marti.

More
3 days 3 hours ago #119048 by Kate Gowen
The social critique, while entirely accurate and important, is less the subject of my study than the vast unknown interior.

I have always been prone to “turning the light around” and learning as much as possible about THIS “incarnation” that is my home and self at the most immediate level

Back when I was having Big Insights, I noticed how callous and disregarding I was to my body’s little strangled cries for help, for comfort, reassurance, rest, the food it said it wanted/needed. If I had treated my children so, I’d have seen it as abuse. But it never dawned on me that I had to do better by myself— that mine, too, was a “precious human birth” with the possibility of enlightenment— great and small. And that, really, if I couldn’t love myself, there was little chance of loving my neighbor, either.

So, coming to a working, “insider” understanding of my own cortisol triggers and the balance between dopamine high and serotonin equilibrium has been a long and winding road. I have needed to set aside everything I assumed I knew about nutrition, psychology, spirituality as some separate endeavor, and start with the few bits of information that were experientially clear to me. Starting with “running hot,” and sleep cycles, changes in digestion and appetite… the basics. These things change over the arc of a lifetime, and just taking them for granted inevitably leads to more suffering than necessary.

More
3 days 57 minutes ago #119049 by Kacchapa
Replied by Kacchapa on topic Physiology of craving
"So, coming to a working, “insider” understanding of my own cortisol triggers and the balance between dopamine high and serotonin equilibrium has been a long and winding road. I have needed to set aside everything I assumed I knew about nutrition, psychology, spirituality as some separate endeavor, and start with the few bits of information that were experientially clear to me. Starting with “running hot,” and sleep cycles, changes in digestion and appetite… the basics. These things change over the arc of a lifetime, and just taking them for granted inevitably leads to more suffering than necessary."

Kate, if it's possible and you have the energy and interest, I'd be sincerely interested to hear more about how that worked for you. Like for example did you try to tune into felt experience and inquire for intuitive insights to gain a new understanding not rooted in your previous understandings? 

More
3 days 6 minutes ago #119053 by Kate Gowen
I have to confess to a congenital reluctance to simply do anything “by rote” (or simply follow instructions, without having a sense of WHY/the operative principle)

So my “inquiry” consists in “assuming the position” of interested observer/listener rather than taskmaster telling my mind how to behave, what thoughts are “junk”, what results are to be expected.
(Yeah, that’s just the sort of punk I am.)

The big surprise most recently is FAT, our need for it— including cholesterol— for every single cell and neurotransmitter in the body. How EVERY official piece of dietary advice over the course of my lifetime is completely wrong, and the war on animal fats is the root of pretty much every degenerative/autoimmune/inflammatory disease that plagues our times.

The trajectory has been a random walk from my body’s persistent request for— hamburger. Not a very politic thing to say in a largely Buddhist forum, but that’s the way it went. Little bits of information presented themselves to my attention after that— the way you start to see the vehicle you’re thinking about buying EVERYWHERE.
Remarkable personal stories of disease reversal accompanied by scientific explanation of the mechanisms involved are all over YouTube and in blogs about “the carnivore diet.” They have been for quite some time, all I had to do was STAWP refusing to look and listen, and try my own little experiments. It’s early days, but I’ll tell you that my first no-carbohydrate, high-fat dinner led to my first low-grade reflux-free night in a decade. Now I’m dabbling with butter as a before-bed cortisol-calmer, to see if falling asleep before 2-4 am is possible on the regular…

This is just my limited personal account, as a newbie.

More
2 days 23 hours ago #119055 by microbuddha
Replied by microbuddha on topic Physiology of craving
Diet in the greenspace of left leaners tends to be anti-meat, I don't think I have ever personally met a vegetarian,  conservative in my life.   Having been a vegetarian for 8 years very focused on the "purity" of my foods, i can tell you that eating meat again has not affected my consciousness one bit.  ( at least this is my  own, limited observation ).   I was talking to my new teacher and wanted to use an analogy for what it felt like for me when I relaxed.  " Are you a vegetarian?  I don't want to really want to offend you "  He said " No. "   I said "  When I am relaxing, I get this image of  a Yak having been barbqued for a day, and the meat just falling off the bones ".  He said " Try that again, but imagine you are the one whose meat is falling off your bones.  " .  Diet is not a one size fits all, as you have found out.  It can be really helpful in some cases, but diet can get really mixed up with the " spiritual " and eating disorders.  ( Orthexia nervosa is a very real disease )  People paint themselves into a little corner with musts, shoulds, have toos, and become anxious because they are somehow failing at this great purifcation project necessary for awakening. Or are so afraid of cancer, death, etc. that they think they can ward it off.   

More
2 days 23 hours ago #119056 by Ona Kiser
Interesting, Kate! Big fan of butter myself. ;)

More
2 days 19 hours ago #119060 by Ona Kiser
I don't think anyone here will think you are weird for exploring that. I think it's interesting to see someone looking at diet with clarity and awareness. 

I am rather used to friends/family with special diets using it as a sort of defense mechanism, which is a bit tiresome, and usually makes me less than confident in the magickal qualities of the diet. But thoughtful food thoughts ARE interesting. I don't know anyone in Brazil who eats a special diet, except one quirky friend who does paleo. I think she's literally the only one (and she's conservative!). Even some Buddhists I know who are pretty hardcore practitioners and leftists just eat regular Brazilian food, with gusto. (I love the way the combinations don't line up here the same way they do in the US - it's fun to be surprised by people not fitting into the expected boxes).

More
2 days 18 hours ago #119062 by Kate Gowen
I find dharma pointers in the damnedest places— like an obscure Claire Danes/Billy Crudup film about English Restoration theater called Stage Beauty. Reversals reverse themselves over and over, and the leitmotif is various characters saying, “Surprise me.”

It is no doubt historically inaccurate, yet that one thing made the film, for me.